Chapter 24

Kaycee

    I could smell the popcorn Brooke was popping all the way in my bedroom. She was excited to watch the red carpet to the movie premiere that the guys were going to. Watching all of the celebrity interviews was her guilty pleasure and now I actually had a reason to watch it with her.

    "Kaycee! Come one! It's starting." Brooke shouted.

    I walked into the living room and Brooke was sitting on the couch, wrapped up in her fuzzy blanket, with her bowl of popcorn. She was already glued to the T.V. watching Brad Pitt give an interview.

    "You look cozy." I said and sat next to her.

    "I am. Do you want some popcorn?" She held the bowl towards me without ever breaking her stare from the T.V.

    "No thanks. I'm good." I giggled. "Did I miss anything?"

    "Not really. They're interviewing Brad about a movie he has been working on."

    "Oh really? Brad? You're cracking me up."

    "What? Why?" She looked over at me.

    "You haven't stopped staring at the T.V. since I came downstairs."

    "Leave me alone." She pulled the blanket up over her some more.

    I laughed and we kept watching the interviews. Every now and then Brooke would comment "Oh he's cute." or "Wow! Her dress is gorgeous." But she was never really talking to me. After about thirty minutes of watching the boys still hadn't been on so I decided to get up and get something to drink.

    "Will you bring me some water?" Brooke yelled.

    "Yes." I yelled back. I knew if I didn't bring her something she would wait until it was completely over.

    "Hey! I see the guys!"

    I ran back into the living room. "Where?"

    "They're standing back there behind Orlando Bloom and Katy Perry! I bet they'll be next!" She said as she was pointing them out.

    "Oh yeah! I see them." I smiled. Matthew looked so handsome in his suit. Then I saw some girl with them. They were all talking and laughing. "Wait, who's that?"

    "Uhm. I don't know." Brooke grabbed the remote and paused it. We both walked closer and tried to see if we could tell who she was. "Surely, she's with James or Josh."

    "Right." I had a really uneasy feeling when Brooke un-paused the T.V. The boys and that girl were walking towards the girl doing the interviews.

    "Hey guys! Just in case any of you at home don't know this is Drew, James, Josh, and Matthew and they're the boys that make up the band The All Nighters. How are you guys?"

    "We are doing awesome! Really stoked to be here!" Drew answered.

    "So, you guys are currently on tour. Where is your next stop?"

    "Nashville, Tennessee. This Friday!" James said. The girl was standing between Josh and Matthew at this point. I was getting more and more nervous by the second. I had a gut feeling something wasn't right.

    "Wow! You guys are busy! Are you too busy to be writing songs or can we expect some new songs soon?" She inquired.

    "We've been working on some new stuff. You guys should be hearing something very soon." Josh said.

    "Oh yay! We can't wait to hear some new music from you guys." She turned towards Matthew. "I have to ask, are you and Ashley official?"

    "We are actually..." Matthew started.

    "We've only been on a couple of dates. We are seeing where it goes." The Ashley girl cut in cheerfully and laid her head on his shoulder.

    "There you have it. Thanks for stopping by guys." Brooke turned off the T.V. after the interview.

    "Are you okay?" Brooke took a step towards me.

    I shook my head. I wanted to cry, but how silly would it be to cry over a guy that I had only known for three and a half weeks. "I just...I'm fine." That was a big lie.

    "No you aren't."

    "I have to be." I sat on the couch. I don't know if I was trying to convince her or myself.

    "Maybe it's just a P.R thing. They do stuff like that all the time to help promote people's careers. To be honest, he didn't look that into her."

    "Brooke, that's not helping."   

    "I'm just saying sometimes that's how their world works. It's all about connections and who can boost your career."

    "I don't want to be wrapped up in that. I definitely don't want to have to be a secret." The more I was thinking about it the more upset I was getting. "Brooke, I am going to go to bed."

    "I love you. I'm here if you need me." I turned and headed towards my room when the first tear fell.