Chapter 30

Kaycee

    Those last few days at the cabin were miserable. I was trying to pretend everything was fine, because eventually they had to be. I couldn't be sad forever. Could I? Brooke and I hadn't mentioned Matthew once since I asked her if we could change the subject a few nights before.

    "What are you doing?" I asked Brooke when I walked into the kitchen.

    "Just checking some emails. What are you doing?" She didn't even look up from her computer when she asked.

    "I just got back from a hike." I walked over to the fridge and got out the pitcher of water.

    "Another one?"

    "Yeah! It's so pretty outside. You should come with me on the next one."

    "That's okay. I have been letting you have your space." I heard her shut her computer behind me.

    "You don't have to give me space." I turned towards her.

    "Well, to be honest I thought you were going to come to your senses before now." She crossed her arms.

    I tried not to choke on my water. "I'm sorry. What?"

    "I love you, but you're being stupid. That boy really likes you. Hell, he might even love you. I know you feel the same way, but you're just letting him go. He drove all the way here to explain everything to you and make sure you were okay. He got a flight to Nashville before he ever knew you were gone. And you can deny it all you want to, but I know you and I can see it all over your face. No matter how much you try to hide it. I know you've been let down in the past and you've been hurt. Now you are just hurting yourself. You are pushing away someone who could very well be the love of your life. And I'm sorry, but I can't just sit here and let you do that to yourself." As she was talking the tears were running down my face. I couldn't just let him go. I sat my glass of water on the counter and started to leave the kitchen. "Where are you going?"

    "To get my stuff. You're right. We've got to get back to Nashville before I lose him for good."

    We both ran upstairs and got out stuff. We loaded the car and headed towards Nashville.