Chapter 29

Matthew

    It was almost time for our concert in Nashville. I had really thought that Kaycee was going to come or at least she would call or something. I really wasn't expecting her to ask me to leave. I couldn't be mad at her for it. I wouldn't have wanted to talk to me either.

    "You ready?" James walked into my dressing room.

    "We've still got a few hours." I said and laid back on the couch.

    "I know. Drew sent me in here to check on you." He opened the door behind him to reveal Drew and Josh standing there.

    "Nice guys." I chuckled a little.

    "Hey, he still knows how to laugh." Drew said. Him and Josh walked in and sat on the couch next to me.

    "You guys are so funny."

    "We are just worried. You've been extra mopey. Still nothing from Kaycee?" Josh asked.

    "Nope. I haven't texted or called her since I got back to Nashville. I don't want to pressure or bother her. I'm hoping that if I give her space then in a few days we can talk." I sighed.

    "I still have hope for you guys." Drew announced.

    "Why are you so optimistic all of a sudden?" I asked. Drew was always the realist and most rational one in the group. Optimism wasn't usually his thing.

    "I just have a feeling. You guys clicked way too quick for you guys not to work out." Drew explained and then took a sip of his soda. James, Josh, and I all just sat and looked at him in disbelief. "What? I'm just saying. I've never seen you like this with a girl. I'm not letting you give up."

    I sat and thought about what Drew had said. He's right. I've never met a girl and everything just clicks right away. She was worth fighting for.

    "James, will you hand me that guitar?" James handed me the guitar that was sitting beside the door. "I wrote a new song last night."

    "You wrote a whole song last night?" Josh asked. "You haven't written a song in a while." Drew elbowed Josh.

    "I know. If you guys like it, I thought we could play it tonight." I explained and started strumming the guitar.