Chapter 26

Kaycee

    I had been in my room since the red carpet. Matthew called me a couple of times and I turned my phone off. I ended up watching Nicholas Sparks movies that gave me an excuse to cry. Brooke came to my door a few times and I sent her away. I decided after four movies and 3 naps later that I should get up and go eat something.

    "You're alive!" Brooke said when I walked through the living room. She got up and followed me into the kitchen.

    "What time is it?" I asked while looking through the pantry.

    "It's 9 a.m. Do you want to go get breakfast?" She asked.

    "No thanks. I think I'm just going to go get in the shower." Nothing in the pantry looked or sounded good to me.

    "You do look a little rough. Did you talk to Matthew at all?" I could hear the hesitation in her voice when she asked. Hearing his name stung a little.

    "No. I turned my phone off last night."

    "Oh. Well, you do look a little rough. A shower will do you some good. Then we can go to lunch."

    "Brooke, I don't want to."

    "You don't have a choice. Now go get ready. I've got to take this." Her phone started ringing.

    I groaned as I walked off, but I stopped when I heard Brooke's phone call. "She's a wreck. Have you talked to Matthew? We have to fix this."

    I loved Brooke for wanting to fix this, but it wasn't her problem to fix. I really wasn't sure that I wanted it to be fixed. I wasn't sure that I was cut out to be a part of his world. Everything in his life was so public and he had so many opportunities ahead of him. I didn't want to hold him back. Besides, after that interview it didn't matter if I wanted to be part of his world or not. He had already made the choice for me.

    I went upstairs to my room. I stood with my back against the door for a few minutes trying to decide what to do. It was Wednesday and all of the boys were going to be in town on Friday for the concert. All I knew is that I did not want to be in the same city. I just wanted to leave. So, I walked to my bathroom and washed yesterday's makeup off my face, then I walked to my closet and started packing a bag. I grabbed enough clothes to get me through the weekend. I waited until I heard Brooke go into her room and I ran downstairs. I took my keys off the counter, scribbled a note on the dry erase board, and went out the back door. I wasn't sure where I was going. I just knew I was getting out of Nashville.