Chapter 27

Matthew

    "Have you been out here all night?" Drew asked as we walked out the back door. I had been on the patio since I told Ashley to leave the night before.

    "Yeah. I've just been sitting out here thinking."

    "Have you talked to her?"

    "Nope. I've called. I don't know how many times and I've sent texts. Nothing. I really messed this up." I sighed.

    "It's all a misunderstanding. Once you guys talk everything will be fine." Drew sounded so sure.

    "If she ever talks to me again." I didn't blame her for ignoring me. I should have just said no to Ashley and Stan. When that reporter asked if we were together I should have spoken up and said no.

    "She'll talk to you. We will be in Nashville this time tomorrow. She doesn't know we are coming early does she?"

    "No, I was going to surprise her." That definitely didn't go as planned.

    "I talked to Brooke earlier. She said she was going to take Kaycee to lunch. She was going to talk to her and see where her head was at."

    "Did you explain to her what happened?"

    "Yeah, she said she was going to try to talk to her. I'll let you know when I hear from her." He patted my back and then got up to go inside.

    "Thanks man. I appreciate it."

    After Drew went in I decided to try and call Kaycee again. Still no answer. I couldn't just keep sitting there and do nothing. I walked inside and called Stan.

    "Hey Matthew! That interview last night was great." He said when he answered the phone.

    "Actually it wasn't. That girl that I told you about saw it before I could explain and now she won't talk to me."

    "Oh no. Really? I am so sorry." He actually sounded sincere. I was surprised.

    "I told Ashley I couldn't do it. I told her for the hundredth time that we were only ever going to be friends. She left the house pretty mad. Just a heads up."

    "It's fine. I'll take care of it. What can I do to help with this other girl? I really am sorry. I didn't listen last night."

    "No, this is on me. I'm a big boy and should have said no. But the reason I am calling is there any way you can get me a flight to Nashville any earlier than tomorrow morning?"

    "Let me see what I can do."

    "Okay. Thanks. I'll also need a car."

    "Okay. I will call you back soon."

    I walked upstairs to start getting ready. If this worked then I could be in Nashville in a few hours and hopefully fix everything. I knocked on Drew's door before heading to my room.

    "Come in." He called out.

    "I just wanted to tell you I called Stan and he's going to try and get me a flight to Nashville today."

    "Dude! That's awesome." He sat up.

    "I just can't sit here and do nothing." Drew's phone started ringing.

    "Hey Brooke. How'd the lunch go?" He paused to listen. Then he put the phone on speaker. "What do you mean she's gone?"

    "She's gone! She went up to her room to get ready for lunch and when I got off the phone with you I did too. I went to her bedroom when I got done and she wasn't in there. I figured she was downstairs, but nope. Her car is gone and I found a message on the dry erase board saying she'd be back in a few days and not to worry. But I am worried. I called her and her phone is still off. I called her parents and she's not there. She doesn't normally leave and not talk to me about it. I knew she was upset, but I didn't realize she was this upset." She sounded worried. I thought she might cry.

    "You don't have any ideas?" Drew asked and looked up at me to make sure I wasn't freaking out.

    "No. Her parents said they'd let me know when they hear from her and not to worry. Nothing yet."

    I got a text from Stan that said the flight was leaving in an hour. I showed Drew my phone.

    "Brooke, Matthew got a flight to Nashville. It takes off in an hour. He will be there in a few hours to help you. If you find out anything else let me know."

    "Okay. Thank you." I ran to my room and grabbed my bag that I hadn't even bothered unpacking and met Drew downstairs to head to the airport.

    The flight seemed like it lasted forever. After I landed I went straight to Brooke and Kaycee's.

    "Thank you for coming." Brooke answered the door before I could even knock. "I've been calling and texting her, but still nothing."

    "I think she turned it off last night. I've been trying to talk to her since we got back from the premiere last night."

    "By the way, that was probably the dumbest thing you could have done."

    "Trust me. I know." I had been beating myself up already.

    "She really liked you and that just made her feel so stupid. Drew explained to me why and how it happened, but you definitely could have handled it better."

    We both stood there for a second. I wasn't sure if she was done yelling at me yet. "Feel better?" I asked hesitantly.

    "A little." She sighed.

    "Good. So, any ideas on where Kaycee might have gone?"

    "I've called all of her favorite local spots and no one has seen her. Her mom sent me a text that said not to worry, but she didn't mention knowing where she was. Her mom thinks she just needs some space. I just don't want her to be alone. Besides, if I hadn't planned that trip to Myrtle Beach she wouldn't be in this mess." She must have noticed the look on my face because then she said, "Sorry."

    "No. It's okay. And it's not your fault. Don't beat yourself up."

    "The last time she was this upset was when she broke up with Christian." She put her face in her hands.

    "Were they together very long?" Kaycee had told me a little bit about Christian, but not very much. I basically knew that he was an ex boyfriend and it didn't end that well.

    "They were together for about two years. I absolutely hated him. He was not right for her. I put up with him for her sake, but I tried to deal with him as little as possible. She ended up dumping him after she walked in on him and his best friend's girlfriend together. I don't think she was upset that it was over, but she was really hurt by the betrayal. She thought her and that girl were friends, too. I remember when she called me and oh my gosh.." She jumped up really fast.

    "What?" I asked quickly.

    "I know where she went! Come on! You can drive." She grabbed my hand and we ran out the door. Brooke and I got in the car and she put the address in the GPS.

    "Why do you think she's there?"

    "Her parents have a cabin in Gatlinburg. They only rent it out a couple times a year. So, it's usually empty. We went there after prom and graduation. She called me after she broke up with Christian. We just jumped in the car and headed to the cabin. We stayed for two weeks. We have spent so much time in this cabin. If she was planning on going anywhere to clear her head this would be it." She sounded so sure.

    We drove in silence for a while before Brooke asked, "You really like her, don't you?"

    "Yeah, I actually do. I just hope I have the chance to prove it to her." I sighed.

    "Me too. I'm sorry for yelling at you earlier. Kaycee has been through a lot. I don't like seeing her hurt. She's my best friend and I would do anything for her."

    "You don't have to apologize. I completely understand." Even if Kaycee didn't forgive me, I am very thankful that she had a friend like Brooke in her life.