22: Impossible

"Bloody hell Grier," mumbled Hermione as I told her of the dream that dug its blackened claws into my head, unrelenting as its images constantly rushed through my thoughts.

"I think it means something... has to, but of what," I whispered as silence quickly drenched the walls of the library.

Hermione locked eyes with me in silent response as she grasped my wrist and pulled me towards the exit of the ancient library: my new escape.

"Mione, where are we going?" I managed to sputter as our feet quickened its pace along the aged stone of the bustling corridors. I was left without an answer as we brushed past newly arrived students from winter break.

My eyes collided with Cedric's, and my heart skipped a beat. Bloody hell, I never apologized for that night at the Yule Ball.

However, those churning feelings that boiled beneath my skin in remorse would have to wait as Hermione's grip on my olive skin never trembled in its inevitable release.

Not until we reached the Gryffindor common room.

A multitude of thoughts ran rapid around my puzzled head as we braced the uneven steps leading to the boys' dorms.

"Harry!" Yelped Hermione once she flung open one of the last doors in the corridor.

Harry's mess of dark hair quickly turned to reveal a stunned look within those green eyes of his, churning with a constant internal storm. One I knew mirrored that of my own despair ravaged eyes.

Ron was staring at me in puzzled unease, which shot a bolt of nervousness down my spine, "Grier, you alright? You look mighty pale?"

I narrowed my eyes at the boy as Hermione quickly ushered myself and the boys out of the room and through the common room.

"Merlin Mione, you're really scaring me," said Harry in a voice that was a feeble attempt to hide his own unease.

We were once again met with the unwelcomed sound of nothingness from her. It was like a void of darkness had swarmed Hermione and the castle itself, tainting the very light that held a firm grasp around the girl.

She quickly led us out of the castle and towards the dreaded clutch of The Forbidden Forest. The sun was beginning to set as we traveled deeper into the pits of darkness itself, like the devil himself sequestered the evil depths in which this earth held captive... lingering in these very woods.

A violent shiver ran through my body.

"Hermione, I think we're far enough from the castle," murmured Ron.

She halted her pace. I looked at my surroundings and noticed the tangle of thick roots that ran atop the ground like a labyrinth of traps. The towering trees that seemed to be staring back at me. The darkness that emanated from the forest quickened my fearful breaths.

It was the place I had seen in my dream.

"Tell her Harry. Tell her about your dreams," grunted Hermione, like it pained her to say the words.

Harry shuffled his feet in obvious unease, raising his glance from the forest's floor to my face, "I-It started when I first arrived here. I was poisoned with the replaying of my parent's deaths before my very eyes." He licked his lips as if to soften the blow of his next words, "When Voldemort attempted to kill me, it was like he became a part of me. A part of my soul."

Ron's whimpers were enough for me to know that there were far worse things to come.

He continued nonetheless, "I was puzzled at first when I had flashes of Voldemort conjured into my dreams. I believed it was just my mind comprehending the loss of my parents in some twisted way," tears had managed to escape from his eyes at the reminiscing of his parents.

"But I was soon shown Voldemort performing horrific acts on innocent people, like Mr. Weasley," a soft gasp escaped my lips as I hung onto every word that left his mouth. "I realized that I was seeing Voldemort... through his eyes. I was given glimpses of his actions. Into his rotten and cold world."

Harry's words trailed off into the deathly silent night as I pulled him against me and into a tight hug that radiated sorrow. I was distraught at everything Harry had endured. Everything he could not control.

I turned to Hermione and snapped, "What is the point of making him repeat his worst nightmares that are far from make believe?" I raged at Hermione in an obvious tone of disgust.

Her soft brown eyes absorbed me as she whispered, "I believe that your nightmare has a connection with Harry's in some way."

Her words echoed in my head as I tried to piece together the possibility of their truth and possibility, "But Draco isn't dead and my mother isn't alive."

Harry shivered next to me in a fit of agitation as he quickly scanned our surroundings before saying, "Maybe it's just Pansy trying to scare the hell out of you with a jinx."

I choked at his words, "If I find out that bloody twat had anything to do with this, I will personally tear her to shreds."

However, I highly doubted the possibility of Pansy having the skill to accomplish something like that. I knew Harry was only trying to comfort me.

"Maybe it's Voldemort intruding on your thoughts and visions," exclaimed Ron as his eyes, like Harry's had, ran across the bundle of trees and shadows circling the small clearing we had stopped at.

I bit my lip, "What in Merlin's name does Voldemort want to do with me, let alone manipulating my dreams?"

"Well, you're certainly one of the most cunning and intelligent witches I've ever known, and you're dating a Death Eater." Hermione's lips were twisted into a slight smile, like she'd cracked the code, "Maybe he is tempting you to the Dark side."

"That's not even funny Mione. Plus, Draco has tried to avoid his father from figuring out that we're together," shock once again haunted my senses. "Wait, how'd you know he was a Death Eater?"

Harry's face went beet red as my face twisted in confusion and slight anger, "It wasn't too hard to figure out considering his family lineage, and I heard him talking with Snape about it in a corridor one night, at Slughorn's get together.'"

Nothing that Harry said truly surprised me since Draco had told me about Snape's title, and his role in the task. That damned task.

The Golden Trio was certainly aware and dedicated to being the downfall of Voldemort. I would be happy to aid when the time came.

"Don't tell a soul," I whispered. My softened words, however, scattered a deafening plea tangled in my tone. "He's not what you think."

Hermione butted in as Ron, who still observed the forest, stayed silent, "I still think it's Voldemort attempting to sway you onto his side or brave the consequences."

You're wrong girl. Get out.

It's wretched voice thundered through me like a wave wiping remnants of everything in its wake away in its grasp.

Ron whimpered once more as the voice shattered through our minds again.

Get out before it's too late.

I had no desire to stay for whatever was to come next since this was the first time I had heard its trembling voice. It sounded morphed and warping to become indistinguishable in the attempt of someone trying to identify its voice. It was old and young, male and female, angry and calm, human and humanoid all in one breath.

"Run," the order plummeted out of my mouth and my legs began moving swiftly, my friends falling in step behind me.

Slashing through the low hanging branches, it felt like hours before we escaped to the edge of the forest and welcomed the soft glow of the castle.

Night clung to every surface as we silently entered the warm grip of Hogwarts. I slowly turned and faced my companions who watched me in unrelenting worry.

"It's my future, and I'll be dead like my mother soon enough, but at least I won't be a virgin when I die," I whistled, trying to lift the mood.

The others said nothing as we passed the threshold into the castle. 

Merlin save us.

A/N: As always... theories???