1: Welcome to Hogwarts

All I could hear was my heavy breathing, like a mass of shooting stars catapulting themselves into the cool air. Here I was, an endless stream of excitement and nervousness. I was here... at Hogwarts.

My previous 5 years of schooling were completed at Ilvermorny: the American wizarding school that was safely tucked behind rows of trees, deep within Massachusetts. I didn't mind the school, but it was nothing like Hogwarts. The walls weren't decorated with moving portraits or possessed by a cranky poltergeist, but it did have my friends, whom I missed dearly.

I was sucked back into reality when I heard Professor McGonagall read my name aloud, "Miss. Grier Langston," she shot me a quick smile of endearment, but it did nothing to calm my sizzling nerves.

I slowly stood from my seat, for I was the last student to face the sorting hat, after a bunch of first years, of course. Biting my lip, I could hear the beating of my heart. It sounded like my very soul was about to escape through my quickened breath.

"Alright my dear, just sit here and the sorting hat will do the rest!" Said McGonagall as I sat on the wooden stool, facing the school in its entirety. I scanned the curious eyes watching me, noticing a group of redheads at the Gryffindor table, a delightfully giddy blonde with the Ravenclaws, and a mass of dark brown hair with soothing eyes to match sitting with the Hufflepuffs.

My widened eyes glanced upon the Slytherin table, only to stop at the sight of a pair of icy grey ones staring back at me. I couldn't help but feel a sense of, not only familiarity, but undeniable attraction towards the brooding boy.

Biting my lip, I looked away and crept my eyes back to the professor before me.

"Students, this is Grier Langston. She has joined us for her 6th year of schooling. She has come all the way from Ilvermorny, so please, make her feel welcome as she adjusts to her new home," McGonagall said with present delight.

Placing the Sorting Hat atop my head, I heard its mumbling remarks, "Hmm... a peculiar one you are. Ah, yes yes you have much bravery within your soul my dear." He chuckled as he continued, "My you are a clever one as well, with a kind heart and ambitious endeavors, huh." I was beginning to grow more anxious. My breath laced with the fear of a new beginning.

Hopefully a better one at that.

"Why... I have never been so conflicted on where you belong, my dear. Let me think, let me think. Ahh, I know where you truly lie." Taking a deep breath, I hoped for the best and waited in anticipation for his next words, "... Hufflepuff!" The Sorting Hat screamed, but the cheers and yelps from the Hufflepuff table soon overcame my senses.

I jumped up from the stool with a grin I never knew could be so wide. "Welcome Grier, we're very glad to have you, and welcome to the Hufflepuff house," said the brown haired boy I had glanced upon earlier. 

I blushed in response as I sat down next to the boy, looking up into his honey brown eyes as I smiled. He grinned and continued to introduce himself, "Hi Grier, my name is Cedric Diggory. Please come to me anytime you have questions about anything. I'm here to help you..." he leaned closer to whisper, "and possibly pass on some fire whiskey."

As I swiftly placed my golden blond hair into a low bun I said, "Well, I like the sound of that, Cedric. In all honesty, I'm terrified... I have only been in England a week and everything seems like a blur. I guess you could say I feel like Nearly Headless Nick." I covered my mouth the second the words spilled out of my mouth in a nervous ramble.

I was even more surprised to see him throw his head back in laughter, for not many people care for my morbid humor. "Wow, I can definitely tell that you have some Ravenclaw in you Grier. That was a good one."

My god, when I tell you I blushed like the fireworks on the 4th of July, I mean it. I stifled another laugh and absorbed the environment around me as I once again scanned the faces of the students around me.

I was pleasantly surprised to see grey eyes staring back at me. Feeling bold, I smirked and maintained eye contact before turning to face Cedric.

****************

After a delicious meal in the Great Hall, I got up to follow Cedric and a couple other Hufflepuffs to our common room after Dumbledore's dismissal. As I walked behind the Hufflepuffs, I soon became enthralled with the castle. 

Every nook and cranny was screaming to be explored as I stopped to look up and admire the vast amount of pictures once again.

My thoughts roamed to Ilvermorny and the friends I had left behind. I deeply missed Noah, my best friend and fellow Horned Serpent. I missed his smile. The way he made me laugh like no one ever could. I simply missed being around him, and who knew if I would ever see him again.

I was abruptly pulled out of my thoughts when I felt a cold hand press against my shirt. Gasping, I whirled around to, once again, meet those ice grey eyes of his.

"Well hello there." I said, biting my lip. It wasn't just those piercing eyes or uniquely blonde hair, but the way he carried himself, and the way he seemed to embody the annoyingly cliché bad boy. That drew me into him. Drawing me into a trap that smelled like apples and cologne.  

"Hm, hi. What was your name again?" He slowly expelled each word as if the weight of it was more than of a simple conversation.

"Grier... I transferred here from Ilvermorny," I said confidently as I continued watching his mysterious gaze.

"Well Grier. I'm Draco Malfoy, and think you ought to know a secret." He bent down to whisper in my ear, "You are nothing," He gritted each word as if it pained him to speak to me.

Unraveling tendrils of fury laced my blood as I said sweetly, "And what brought you to that conclusion, skeleton boy," I clenched my jaw after speaking, knowing that there would be a multitude of consequences for my harsh words.

I didn't care.

 I would not be demeaned by a privileged, yet beautiful, boy, so I continued, "Why are you so pale? Did your soul get sick of that temper, too?" Damn, I thought, that was a good one.

His mouth was slightly agape at my words as he hissed, "You're a half-blood Langston, and trust me, it wasn't that hard to discover." He now smirked, knowing his words would cut deep. 

He didn't know me from atom, yet he unraveled me all the same.

"You disgust me Malfoy. Stay away from me you filthy Slytherin. I may be a Hufflepuff, but I promise you, I have fangs of my own."

I began to turn around, disgusted, not only at him, but at myself for still letting his words get to me, and because I knew I would not be able to stop thinking of him afterwards, even though he looked a little bit like Gumby.

Another gasp escaped my lips as I was pushed against the aged stone wall, hot breath burning my inflamed cheeks.

"Don't make me teach you a lesson Langston, not on your first day," his lips lingered at my ear for a few moments before he released me from his grip and vanished down the winding halls of the castle, leaving me breathless.

I then knew that this would be an interesting year at Hogwarts.

A/N: Ahhh, I am so excited to share this story with you all. Again, please give me feedback and suggestions! As always, vote and comment because it would mean the world to me. (: