37: Of Love & War

A/N: I recommend listening to Snape's Demise on the HP & The Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 album!! (:

My feet moved in a calculated rhythm, syncing with the rapid beating of my heart.

Dumbeldore was dead at the hands of Severus Snape.

The group of Death Eaters quickly exited the tower and rushed in spiteful urgency towards the heart of the castle. I could hear the shatter of glass and the thudding of metal as Harry and I journeyed the labyrinth of the castle.

Shards of the life I once knew, crumbled at the feet of Voldemort and his loyal servants. My mind couldn't help but wander to Draco and ease at the knowledge that he hadn't been the one to kill Dumbledore.

I'm coming. I murmured down the burning link that tethered the soul of a broken girl and a boy who had no choice.

The Slytherin Prince and his Hufflepuff Queen on the opposite sides of a deadly game.

Swiftly running down the corridors, a deafening blow of shattering glass reverberated through the empty corridor as Harry followed suit.

The all too familiar crow of a laugh pierced the air and veiled the castle in its hideousness. This night hadn't relinquished its grasp of death and destruction just yet.

So I would fight like hell.

We followed their trail of clouded shadows; my stomach twisted in built up anticipation and acceptance of a sealed fate.

I felt a warm hand grasp my wrist and twist me around.

"If we follow them, Grier, Merlin knows what will happen," whispered Harry. His wild green eyes swirled in guilt and despair.

A forced smile spread across my lips, "I know, and I also know that, like me, you won't go down without a fight..." There was silence as my unsaid words haunted the still air around us.

For him.

He mirrored my expression, "Let's give them hell, shall we?"

"For him. For our parents. For the wizarding world. We won't die cowards."

We wallowed in one final embrace as if to exemplify the unsaid words and friendship that had blossomed through the horrors of this night and beyond. In a way, Harry and I were bonded like brother and sister.

Like the darkness hadn't tainted our hearts, but strengthened our souls to show us the glory of bravery, but more importantly the gravity of holding goodness in the forever broken parts.

"Together," I whispered into the night.

A familiar voice in my head muttered, Run.

In silent rectitude we bounded through the winding corridors and out into the open air of the innocent world beyond.

Heading for the stirring trees of the forest that led to Hagrid's Hut, we crashed into the waves of reality. My body relished in the capabilities that lurked beneath the surface and begged to be relinquished in a fight of good and evil.

A dormant power awakened in those moments before we broke through the veil of shadows and fog. It prowled my blood and intertwined with my bones as it coarsed through the entirety of my being. A hunger raged inside me to avenge the horrors that my mother, Harry's parents, Dumbledore, and so many more succumbed to.

I saw the gliding silhouettes of the Death Eaters before I heard them. Pure fury rampaged through my wand as I bellowed, "Expelliarmus!"

The outline of a curved wand flew through the air and landed with the soft crunch of the dried leaves that blanketed the forest floor.