2: Potions

I woke up, cuddled in the puffy comforter of my narrow bed. God I did not want to wake up, but the other 2 girls in my room began getting ready for the first day of classes. My busy mind floated to the events of last night in the hallway with Draco. I instantly began blushing as I shook the thought because I knew it wouldn't be the last I saw of him.

I slowly crept from my bed and shuffled to the dresser, where I pulled out my new Hufflepuff robes. As I quickly got dressed, I met my other 2 roommates, who I hadn't met because they were already asleep by the time I entered the room last night.

Alexandra was a 7th year, like Cedric, with glistening green eyes that seemed to dance with the words of a poem and a beauty that I could not help but envy, for she was the epitome of elegance.

"Why don't you follow Shea and I down to the Great Hall for breakfast Grier," said Alexandra.

I then laid my eyes upon a taller 6th year girl with flaming red hair that cascaded down her robed torso. Her lips turned upward into a gleaming smile... It was one of those contagious smiles that lit up any room.

I knew that these girls would be my lifeline, and I hoped that these next two years at Hogwarts would be unforgettable, and, honestly, filled with those piercing grey eyes.

As we walked up through the lit hallways towards the Great Hall, we continued to talk, mostly about our summer and families, which I only half listened to. The castle was much different in the day time: more alive.

I clutched the bag that hung heavily on my shoulder as my nervousness for the first day of classes tackled me with mighty force. I had no idea what to expect. No inkling of direction, but I was driven to succeed in my education as I have always shown great promise in the art of studying... & apparently insults.

I breathed in the scent of cinnamon buns, bacon, and eggs as I sat down between the two girls and across from Cedric.

He sent me a wide smile as his iridescent brown eyes danced with excitement. "How are you feeling about your first day, Grier?" He quired, looking over his newspaper: The Daily Prophet, which held a moving picture of You-Know-Who on the cover, confirming his "reincarnation."

Clearing my throat and maintaining eye contact with Cedric I replied, "To be honest, I'm terrified. I have no idea what to expect. I barely know anyone here. My driving force is food and my love to-." Sighing, I realized that Draco was staring directly at me from the Slytherin table. His intoxicating eyes stopped me mid sentence. It was an odd feeling, and one I can't quite explain; simply his glance sent me into a bundle of nerves and sent me a knot of butterflies.

Cedric obviously noticed my change in attention as his gaze followed mine... to the Slytherin table.

Quicker than before, Cedric lowered his voice to a whisper, "Don't even think about it Grier. He will break you. Your heart. Your soul. Who you are. He is not someone you want to associate with. I can promise you that much," biting his lip as he continued, "Don't take this the wrong way, but you're a half-blood and a foreigner, and Malfoy doesn't associate himself with "blood traitors." I am only telling you this for your best interest. Trust me."

My heart broke a little, acknowledging the truth behind Cedric's words. God damn it.

"You're right. He definitely told me something of the sorts last night," a nervous laugh escaped my lips, "I guess we can only hope that he isn't in any of my classes." Liar.

Cedric gave me a small smile before getting up to walk to his first class. I waited a few minutes before doing the same after finishing breakfast, and resting my book and notebook filled bag on my shoulder, walking out of the Great Hall with Shea and Alexandra.