18: Alive

I couldn't tell if the screams that vibrated through my skull were a figment of my imagination or real. My mind was swirling like a cascade of jumbled thoughts, but one voice boomed over the others.

You have no idea what is to come, girl.

I was surrounded by a darkened abyss that spiraled my thoughts into incoherent noises.

I had no idea how long I was unconscious before I felt cold fingers brush along my flushed cheeks. I slowly opened my eyes in an effort to see who it was.

Draco.

A gasp escaped my mouth as his eyes stared at mine like a thousand splendid suns. He was here, with me.

My head was pounding from the previous events as I sat up in the bed I was laying on.

"You're here," was all I could muster, pulling him against me.

He softly laughed and kissed my forehead, "I heard what happened with The Burrow, so I snuck out of that hellhole they call a manor and tried to figure out where you and the others were."

I moved my lips to connect with his in chaotic eagerness, "Where are we anyways?"

"The Leaky Cauldron at Diagon Alley," said Draco as his eyes wandered my limp body. I watched his expression shift from relief to prominent guilt. "I should let the others know you're awake."

I shushed him with my lips as he gathered me against him, "Not now," I mumbled.

The sound of my roaring blood pumped only for his touch. His closeness. And his unwavering presence.

"I missed you so much Grier," he said while messing with the waistband of my pants. I felt my body erupt in goosebumps at his longing touch.

I ran my delicate fingers through his soft hair, "I missed you too, Draco." At this we remained quiet, only focusing on each other.

He shifted to remove his thick crew neck before moving to hover over my body. He ran his lips from my mouth, to my neck, chest, and stomach, leaving purpling trails of his presence on my body.

I closed my eyes as he at last pulled me closer to him, wrapping his arms around me. His scent blinded my senses, my worry, my fear. Here he was, risking himself to ensure my safety. 

I stared at the ring that still graced my slender finger. "You know you should have put a protection spell or something on this thing," I looked back at him as a smirk threatened to cross my features. "I need it now more than ever."

Draco huffed a laugh as he whispered "Who says I didn't?" My eyebrows rose at his words. I was about to retort that notion but didn't have the strength to test his temper, not when he came all this way to see me.

His voiced filled the air again, "I've never felt so perfect with someone Grier... We're something else." A small smile spread across his face, indulging me in all of his beauty, "We should really tell the others you're awake."

I sighed upon his request, debating whether I should tell him about my spell usage against Bellatrix, assuming his father hadn't already informed him. Averting his eyes out of guilt, I said in whispered tones, "I used Dark magic against Lestrange last night, Draco."

I waited for the gasp and yell of idiocy focused on me, but all the ethereal man said before me was, "I can't say I blame you, Grier. She would have killed you if you hadn't defended yourself in such a way."

We exchanged lopsided smiles as I remembered another important fact. Playing with the rough sheets between my fingers, I said, "The funniest thing happened right before I cast that spell against her though." I paused waiting for his nod to continue. "It felt like time had slowed as we stared at each other before she said 'That's impossible.'"

Bewilderment marred his beautiful face. "Lestrange is notorious for being crazy. Don't believe anything she says, my love," were the only words he said, but the look on his face led me to believe he himself didn't even believe his words.

My stomach dropped at the prospect. 

"We should really get downstairs," I whispered, forcing myself to stand over the bed where Draco remained still as if his thoughts reared him towards blissful deafness from my request. Merlin.

Snapping out of his apparent thoughts, he pulled me into a kiss before heading out the door and down the skinny, steep steps of the inn.

Entering the first floor, I spotted the Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione in the corner of the cramped room. Draco's hands intertwined with my own, all eyes landed on us.

"Oh dear girl! You're alright," exclaimed Mrs. Weasley as she frantically wrapped her arms tightly around my body, which I very much welcomed. The rest of the group followed suit, holding me in their arms as tears ran down their faces... even the twins.

I had no clue I meant this much to them, yet I'm sure most of their tears were in point towards the shared sorrow and trauma of last night's events.

"I-I'm so sorry for what happened to your home," I said with tears gathering down my own face. The family shook their heads in unison, explaining that they were glad everyone was alright.

I turned to Draco, "I need to talk to Harry real quick. Be nice," at this he kissed my forehead and let me pull the Chosen One to the side of the room.

The floorboards creaked underneath out weight as we hovered at the far corner of the first floor pub. I swept my eyes across the lingering individuals of the pub, noting no one suspicion before taking a deep breath and facing Harry before me.

His green eyes wide with peaked interest and uneasiness as he waited for what was to come out of my mouth, which usually was a mystery to those around me often. 

In hushed words I exclaimed, "I saw Voldemort in my thoughts... I heard him echo through my head, and before the Death Eaters arrived that message 'Get out' appeared again," I was out of breath by the time I finished, glancing at the shocked expression left imprinted on his features.

All he could seem to muster was, "We should get back to Hogwarts as quickly as possible."

A/N: Hello beautiful people! I know that these past couple of chapters have been kind of short, but I promise they will be longer in the coming ones!

As always, thank you so so so much for your support. <3