13: Perfect

In the coming weeks of the Yule Ball, Cedric eventually asked me to be his date, which I did accept under the condition that we would be going as friends. I couldn't help but notice the sadness in his irises at my words, but all the same he seemed glad to be my date.

The Weasley's even invited me to their home for Christmas, which I was ecstatic about because Hermione and Harry would also be there. To be honest, I was most excited to meet Mrs. Weasley and try some of her world famous sweets.

Draco and I hadn't spoken since his sudden confession of having to kill Dumbledore, which was given to him by Voldemort himself. Apparently, if he was not successful in this job, his family would be killed, leaving him no choice.

I would always catch him staring at me from across the room, whether we were in the Great Hall, Potions, or roaming the corridors.

I think I will always feel that familiar longing to run into his arms and never leave.

But I wouldn't allow myself to act upon it.

****************

It was the morning of the ball, and I was in the shower, thinking of scenarios that this night may lead to.

I was more so bracing myself to see Pansy and Draco together and doing Merlin knows what afterward. Sighing, I massaged shampoo into my scalp worried beyond words. I had been waiting for weeks for another attack to present itself, but nothing happened, which was almost worse.

I eventually got out of the shower and headed to the Great Hall for breakfast where I now always sat with the Gryffindors. A plethora of foods graced the mahogany wooded table. My stomach grumbled, signaling time for me to stuff my face.

"You ready for tonight Grier?" said Hermione, excitement peaking its way into her words.

I was excited for her night because Ron had asked her to be his date, which was perfect considering that the girl had had a crush on him this whole term. At least something good had come out of this impending dance.

"I'm sure not as excited as you Hermione. I'm just ready to dress up and go to some afterparties," I elbowed her as anticipation for the night to begin found its way into my veins.

"How about I come over to your dorm and we get ready together? You, me, Shea, Alexandra, and Ginny!" I honestly couldn't say no to Hermione because her bubbling excitement was creeping its way further into me. Her locks of curled hair danced with every word as if the entirety of her body and soul waited with glee at tonight's event.

"Okay okay, lets meet at 6... that gives us 2 hours to get ready." I heard a gasp from beside me.

"Merlin Grier, who the hell takes 2 hours to get ready for some ball?" Exclaimed Fred with a scrunched face.

I playfully hit him, "Well Fred, if you must know, it's for you guys... we want to look impressive, seductive, and quite frankly, badass."

I shrugged and continued eating my french toast as Fred tried to mock me, once again, butchering an American accent.

Getting up, I felt his grey eyes bore into me as Hermione and I headed to the library for some last minute studying before Winter Break. I didn't dare look at him, for I knew he would unravel me once more.  

****************

"Merlin Grier, you look like a goddess," said Alexandra as I slipped into my dress.

It was a tight fitted champagne colored dress that glided along each curve, the satin material felt like butter against my skin. I truly felt beautiful with my hair curled, soft makeup, and my best friends surrounding me.