8: Butterbeer & Quills

The rest of the week ran rampant in my head as I sat at one of the corner tables indulging the delicious taste of Butterbeer. This was my first time at Hogsmeade, and I definitely wasn't disappointed.

Students roamed the streets as the brisk mid-September air followed in their footsteps. It was peaceful and exactly what I needed after the longest week of my life.

Cedric waved his hands in front of my face cooing, "Earth to Grier... Anybody in there?" He chuckled at himself once he got my attention and the expression that came along with it.

"Sorry, I'm just distracted. That's all," I gave him the fakest smile I could muster, which only made him laugh harder.

I couldn't get Draco out of my head because we hadn't really seen each other since our 'enlightening experience' in his room. Mostly because classes were really starting to pick up, piling the stress level for everyone.

Luckily, there hadn't been any more weird encounters concerning mirrors, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched. Especially when I was alone late at night.

Taking another sip of my Butterbeer, the Weasley twins sat down beside me, sandwiching me into the booth with Cedric across from us.

"Bonjour mademoiselle, you look delightful this Saturday morning," said Fred with a wide smile on his face. I couldn't help but return it because no matter what was going on, I could count on Fred and George to help forget my recent... dilemmas.

"Why thank you kind gentlemen," I attempted to imitate their beautiful British accents, but I simply ended up making a fool of myself, which caused them to both become a bundle of laughter.

Shaking my head, I noticed that Draco had entered the Three Broomsticks with Blaise, Pansy, and Crabbe, making me freeze in place.

Our eyes met, but his face was blank as he crossed the room and sat at the table right beside our booth. My heart hammered in my chest. I was hoping he would acknowledge me, but his past words 'This has to stay a secret' presented themselves, and I knew it was a lost cause to hope for something far beyond my reach.

Sighing, I began to stand as Fred slid out of the booth to let me by, "I'll be back soon. I just have to grab a couple extra quills at Scrivenshaft's."

All three boys nodded in unison as smirks covered their faces. Weird.

I headed out of the Three Broomsticks, not giving Draco the satisfaction of my gaze, but I still felt his impending stare survey my every move.

It felt nice to finally rid my body of the school's uniform. Today I was wearing simple mom jeans with a bodysuit to contrast the slight bagginess of my lower half, and my mom's cameo hanging from my neck. A constant reminder of her each time I rubbed my fingers along the etched details.

I walked down the student filled streets to Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop, slowly opening the door as a bell chimed to announce my arrival. However, there was no one in the shop, which was quite odd, considering it was 11 am in the morning.

The darkness of my surroundings did nothing to calm my nerves as I slowly walked deeper into the store. Eventually, finding myself in the very back. It was an area that was obviously not used much, for there was a multitude of cobwebs and dust layering the materials on the shelves. Ron would hate it here.

Just as I was about to leave, a random book titled The History of Penmanship fell to my feet. My stomach dropped, but I froze in silent fear as the two words appeared once more on the dust covered shelves: Get out.

Covering my mouth with a shaky hand, books began to hurtle themselves at me. Who knew books could cause so much pain in the literal sense?

Struggling to find my way out of the cramped shop, I sprinted through the aisles I thought I had come from. Finally finding the exit, I rushed out the door and into the busy streets where I collided with a couple of students.

"Are you alright?" One of them asked, but I was too overwhelmed to produce a single coherent thought.

I absentmindedly found my way back to The Three Broomsticks, hoping to find one of the three boys I had left behind, but I couldn't seem to think straight.

I pushed past exiting students to reach the booth I was sitting in less than 30 minutes ago, and thank Merlin, Fred and George were still there, having the time of their life, until they saw me.

"Grier what is it? Why are you shaking?" They both stood, concern written all over their faces. And to this, Draco finally decided I existed as he whipped around in his seat to witness what I had to say.

My response barely came out as a whisper, "It happened again... In the quill shop."

3 pairs of eyes stared back at me with shock lingering on their features. Draco was the first to move as he rushed to me, pulling me into him as his arms wrapped around me in silent comfort.

Tears rolled down my face as I buried my face into his chest, hiding the fact that I was crying. I hated nothing more than to show the world how deeply sad I was, so I hid it.

I didn't have to look to see that everyone's eyes were on the both of us because the silence was louder than any noise.

Draco whispered soothing words into my ear, for only I could hear, "It'll be alright... I'm here... We'll figure this out."

I had never felt such comfort in the arms of a boy I was just beginning to know. Every word that slipped from his tongue was like honey dripping off a silver spoon.

Still gathered in his arms, he quickly exited us out of the place and into the streets where we hid in the shadows of a narrow alley.

"Grier, you have to tell me everything. Please tell me everything," he placed both of his hands upon my distressed face, forcing me to look at him. I then noticed the dark circles and his bloodshot eyes, stricken with exhaustion.

"I-I was in the quill shop and wandered to the very back, which was quite abandoned and dusty..." I told him the events that had transpired only minutes ago, reliving every frightening detail.

He pulled me against him when I finished and kissed the top of my head, soothing my wild thoughts.

I had a feeling he was keeping his own secrets.

A/N: I would love to hear some of your theories about who/what is behind these odd attacks!! Comment, comment, comment (: