3: Maybe

After classes that day, I couldn't stop thinking about those two little words that came out of his mouth. Those two words changed my perspective, yet deeply confused me. He contradicted the stereotype that Cedric had concretely laid before me, but why was a pure-blood Malfoy sorry?

"You alright Grier? You seem distracted," said Shea as she walked beside me towards the Great Hall for dinner.

"Yeah, I guess I'm just stressed about the school year already," letting out a light laugh, I walked through the Great Hall and noticed Hermione vigorously waving her hand at me.

"I'm being summoned, but I'll see you after dinner!" I quickly said to Shea as she walked towards the Hufflepuff table and I to the Gryffindors.

I sat down between Hermione and one of the redheaded boys I saw last night during the sorting ceremony. I was even more shocked to see a copy of the boy lean out into the aisle to look at me.

Two pairs of brown eyes stared back at me as one of them said, "Hi Grier, I'm Fred and this is my delightful brother George."

Grinning back, I said, "Wow, it's nice to meet the both of you. I feel like I'm looking at a hotter version of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum."

The brother through their heads back and laughed while simultaneously saying, "I like her already."

Feeling a hand grip my shoulder, I turned to face Hermione as she began to introduce me to the rest of her friends.

There was Ron Weasley, younger brother to Fred and George, who I learned had a terrible sweet tooth and took a disliking to dress robes, which apparently reminded him of his Great Aunt Tessie.

I also met the one and only Harry Potter whose story was even more captivating to hear in person than through the newspaper. We definitely had one thing in common: a mutual overflowing hatred for Lord Voldemort.

I had more than plenty of reasons to despise the man, for his little Death Eaters murdered my mother before my very eyes, and left me for dead after using the Cruciatus Curse last year.

A memory that is burned into my brain, watching her lifeless body slide to the ground, her screams still raking my body. I was left withering in lingering pain from the curse, but it was nothing compared to the pain I felt for losing my mom.

I will never understand why they came all the way to America to kill a person and torture another. It's something that rakes through my head countless times a day.

"Grier? Grier are you okay? You look like you're about to be sick," Harry softly spoke from across the table.

All eyes were on me and I shook my head, "Yeah, I guess I'm just distracted by everything. I'm still a little overwhelmed with everything that's gone on, especially classes."

With another wide grin, Hermione chimed in, "Oh you don't have to worry about that. Like you said, we're study buddies!"

We began talking as a group once again, and my mom's death slowly faded to the back of my mind, but one thing was for certain... I would have to talk to Malfoy, tonight.

I looked up and over my robed shoulder, searching for any sign of that blond haired boy, but there was nothing. He wasn't here. Becoming antsy, I excused myself from the group and walked through the elegant doors of the Great Hall and down the lengthy hallway before me.

Wandering the halls, I searched for the boy, but I didn't find him.

Not wanting to go to bed just yet, I crept outside to the fairly warm air as it hit my face. To be honest, I wasn't very sure if this was even allowed, but I still walked down the path to what I assumed was the Black Lake.

Taking a deep breath, I reached the shoreline and sat at the base of a large oak tree. I soon became lost in thought, which I've realized happens quite frequently. Listening to the creatures within the Forbidden Forest and watching the lights of the castle dance in the windows, I noticed how utterly alone I felt in this new environment.

I couldn't wallow for long as I heard footsteps heading my way. I closed my eyes, hoping and praying it wasn't a professor or Filch, the castle's caretaker.

Instead I heard the voice I had been searching for, "What are you doing out here Langston... You know you're not allowed."

Ignoring his probing question I said, "I could ask you the same thing, and I could also ask you about what happened today in Potions."

I watched him. Even in the dark I could make out his stark ice grey eyes staring back at me.

"I don't know what came over me, so don't get your hopes up," he nonchalantly commented, but I didn't believe him. There had to be a reason.

"Draco why? Just tell me. I'm a damn Hufflepuff for god's sake, I wouldn't judge," I said, louder than I should have.

Sighing, he met my gaze, but this time it was filled with bleak sadness, "I've never felt bad about giving someone shit before, especially a half-blood. I don't know how to react because I barely know you, and you barely know me. I don't know what to say."

"Oh."

Butterflies rumbled through my stomach as I bit my lip, "Well maybe we could get to know each other."

"Maybe."

A/N: I know this one was a little short, but trust me when I say that every chapter has a purpose!