Part 38

"Welcome, son."

"Father."

We stare at each other for a few seconds, the awkwardness of the years floating between us, but I don't let it get me down. I keep my nose high and he seems to notice, because a smirk settles on his lips, making it hard for me not to smack it off his face. I've almost forgotten how much he can drive someone up the wall, and only with one glance.

"I knew you'd come," he says knowingly, kind of proud of himself as if I'd complied with his orders.

"Don't flatter yourself." I retort, an irritated look plastering on his face. "I didn't come because you wanted me to."

He chuckles for a second, but it's more of a sarcastic laugh that covers up his anger than an amused one. I can read from his eyes that he is trying to hold back. He never hit me or raised his hand, but as a kid, I was still afraid he would. There is always a first time for everything. But those days are over, he is welcome to try to raise his hand now.

His eyes travel down my body from top to bottom and he looks at me like he's analyzing me. "Look at you. You've become a man."

My nose flares in irritation. "I was more of a man than you'll ever be."

"Still the same smart tongue talking back. I see." he says, his eyebrows creasing together.

"I didn't come here for this. Say what you have to say," I huff.

Honestly, what's all this about? I didn't drive all the way out here to make small talk about old times. If he thinks he can have a casual conversation with me, he's sorely mistaken. I've never liked talking to him, I've always had a hard time finding something to say, that's why our exchanges usually consisted of the bare minimum. I don't even remember ever talking to him about myself or any morals. He is my father but he didn't teach me anything except trust issues.

"I didn't call you here to disrespect me under my roof either."

"You talk about respect?" I ask mockingly. "I'll tell you this. You don't expect respect, you earn it. Name one thing I should respect you for?"

This conversation is turning in the direction of an argument faster than I expected it to. I knew long before I left for Busan that it would eventually come to blows. I've spent long enough in this house, seen and experienced enough, to know what drives my father nuts.

"I'm your father, that is reason enough for you to respect me."

"Just because you fathered me doesn't mean you're my father!" I sneer, incredibly angry that after everything he's done to me he's still throwing the father card in front of me. "It takes a lot more to be a father. I had one who appreciated me more than you ever could."

I wish Uncle Haeseong was here now to support me emotionally. I miss him so much sometimes that I sit at his grave for hours telling him everything about my everyday life. I know it might be crazy, but I still can't accept that fate took him from me. I wish he was alive.

When he told me about his illness, it hit me hard. I couldn't concentrate on work for days. I spent the last few months of his time always worrying if it would be the last day. Every day I got up frightened if he wasn't already awake, running to his room to check on him. He gave me a second chance in life, got me on my feet, pulled me out of the hole, and was by my side on my darkest days. But now I'm on my own, standing here in front of my father.

"I am your father, Jungkook. I do love you," he says, reaching out to touch me, but I pull my arm back so quickly that he doesn't see it coming. My eyes fill with unwanted tears that threaten to roll down and it takes all my strength to bite them back.