Part 13

A black wrapped carton box is lying in front of me on the counter. The edges of the wrapping paper are neatly glued together and a silver ribbon, which has been curled is placed right in the middle of the gift.

After Nora and I ran into Jungkook in the small restaurant a few days ago and he invited us to his birthday party afterwards, we hurried back to the mall one more time in order to get him a present. Although I didn't know what he was into, as we hadn't known each other for that long, I discovered a shop at the last moment in whose storefront something was displayed that immediately reminded me of him. I have no idea if he is really into it and maybe it might be something childish, but I saw something similar during my visit to his workshop. I really hope he likes it. It would be really embarrassing to see him pretending to like it, which I used to do a lot as a child.

I have one last look in the mirror in front of me and brush my flower-patterned dress smooth. The weather made me put on this dress, as it is unusually hot today for a day in April. The pattern of flowers is kept uniform throughout the material and the sunny yellow color contrasts with my slightly tanned skin. 

I used to hate my tan and I was jealous of the porcelain white girls in my school who received compliments from everyone for their snow white looks. But with time I have learned to accept myself as I am and I must admit that I'm even proud not to belong to the crowd. My make-up today keeps a summer look–healthy glowing skin, bronzed contours, and long defined lashes, with a final touch of lip gloss.

I reach for the gift, careful not to tear the paper, and hurriedly walk to the front door to put on my white sneakers. I close the front door and wait at the main entrance where Nora is about to pick me up.

As I get into the car Nora whistles at me, showing that she approves of my appearance and I let out a relieved breath, glad that she likes it. We start driving to his workshop, listening to a faint song on the radio and I wonder why the drive takes longer than I remember.

When we arrive at the workshop, Nora pulls the car up a few meters outside the entrance before we get out and walk side by side to the place he said we should come to. The closer we get to the big entrance gate, the louder the music and laughter of the people inside become. As we stand in the entrance gate I notice that Jungkook has cleared out a part of the workshop to set up a big table with delicious snacks and refreshments.

The smell of grilled meat fills our nostrils and my stomach growls loudly because I haven't eaten anything all day to be able to taste everything at the party.

"There you girls are. We've been waiting for you," Jungkook calls, just running into the workshop from the back entrance, two big plates in both hands and a bottle of beer trapped under his arm.

"Come on, we just started barbecuing in the backyard." he waves us over after placing the plates in a sink. 

Nora and I slowly walk over to him and when I stand next to him he looks at me from top to bottom with enchanted eyes. Nora winks at me and disappears out the back door, ignoring the fact that she doesn't know anyone here, but interacting with strangers has never been her problem anyway.

"Hi. Thanks for coming," he breathes as only the two of us are left in the garage.