Part 40

Here we come Busan.

A mega city that I've always wanted to visit, but somehow never got around to it. When Jungkook asked me to come with him to his hometown, I was a bit shocked, to be honest.

Not shocked because he wants to go on a trip with me, but because he wants to go to this party his dad is organizing. After we were visited by Alex, it must have finally been enough for him to confront his father in every possible situation.

I'm lying on my right side, my back turned to Jungkook as I stare at the starry sky visible through the open curtains, the ticking of the clock lightly resounding in the silent room. I also hear the soft breathing of him and judging by the rhythm, he hasn't fallen asleep yet either.

The bed rustles with his movement and I realize he's probably turned in my direction because I can feel the warm breath on the back of my neck.

"Elaine?" he whispers softly and I hum in response. "Are you asleep yet?"

"I was just humming, how could I be asleep?" I laugh and turn around, our faces now a few inches apart as I can make out his features in the dim light.

"Yeah, right. Sorry." he laughs, but the laughter quickly wipes away. He stares into my eyes, bouncing from one to the other and occasionally roaming over my lips. I can tell from his demeanor that he has something on his mind that he can't easily get rid of.

"What's wrong?" I ask, my voice soft as I scoot a few more inches closer to him. His sweet scent fills my nostrils and I could fall asleep on the spot, though I couldn't close my eyes until a few minutes ago.

He sighs, lowering his gaze from me, and I see him shrug his shoulder. "I don't know. Just everything. My brain won't shut up."

My eyes soften and the immediate urge to make him feel better overcomes me. The last few months have been hard for him and his father's actions are still affecting our presence. It will take a while for him to fully heal from this.

"Talk to me. Don't keep it all bottled up."

His eyes find mine again, his lips pressed into a straight line. "Come to Busan with me," he says, more of a request than an asking.

"To Busan?" I ask, my eyes wide and not believing what I just heard. He just nods, letting my confusion rise even more. "What are we going to do there?"

"I have to go one last time to put an end to all of this. I want you to come with me because I don't want to leave you here alone."

"What are you going to do?"

"My father is going to have a party for his business to which I will go. I saw papers in his office that could help me use them against him." he looks at me determinedly, as if he's been working on this plan for days. "I'm going to get them."

"What?" I gasp quietly. "What if he catches you? That's too dangerous."

"Hey." he soothes me, placing his hand on my cheek where he strokes it comfortingly with his thumb. "Don't worry about it. I'll be careful."

I sigh, finding his plan not very smart and dangerous. "I don't know. I'm afraid he might hurt you."

"He won't." he smiles, but it's a smile that doesn't really reach his eyes. "It's my last chance to cut him out of my life, no, our lives, for good."