Part 5

"I can't just let you go with a random guy you only met a few hours ago!"

This girl is really starting to get on my nerves, to the point where I almost have to see a doctor because of my temper. Nora has now been trying for – let me have a quick look on my watch – about 25 minutes to convince me to let her go with this guy because he wants to treat her to some ice cream. 

"I may never get the chance again, and then you'll be the one to blame for making me single for the rest of my life!" 

"What an exaggeration, there's such a thing as exchanging numbers, in case you haven't heard." Flicking her forehead with my finger, I turn back to the bartender in my swivel chair and ignore her wincing. She holds her palm against the spot that hurts to soothe the stinging a tiny bit.

"I don't care. Come on, Elaine, I need some fun in my life too, and that's certainly not going to happen if I'm stuck at home or at work all the time." she pouts looking up at me with her puppy eyes, fluttering with her eyelashes.

"No, and that's my final answer."

"I can do whatever I want why am I even asking you." Her arms now in front of her chest, she is trying to look mad. I don't buy this anymore.

"Well, then, why did you even ask in the first place? Just don't come running to me crying again." I shrug and let out a loud sigh, now tired of arguing with her through the night. It's not that I don't want her to go out and meet new people, but I just don't want it to be someone from such a place, from whom I know what his intentions are.

She grabs me by the shoulder and forces me to look into her eyes to make sure that she is going to be fine "I won't, don't worry. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy you think he is. I think you'd actually like him. He'll be taking me home safely, and I will get you a cab. Okay?"

"You used up all your credits tonight, I'm never coming anywhere with you again." Both arms swung around my neck, Nora squeaks thank you in my ear so often that I stop counting at some point.

"I'm now going to call a cab for you and let Alex know that we're ready to go." She jumps out of her chair with such momentum, that she almost trips in her high heels. As always I have to keep myself from laughing, it is each time anew how much she can be happy and excited about little things, so I just can't say no to her.

_________________________

"You don't have to wait because of me. My cab will surely arrive anytime soon. So go before I change my mind." An assuring look is written on my face, I glance from Nora up at that Alex guy and pass him a glance. He is standing right behind her, one hand on her lower back, which he takes away because of my frowning stare and connects it with his other hand behind his own back. His innocent, boyish-looking eyes gave me the assurance that I could entrust my best friend to his care for the rest of the night, so I hope he won't disappoint me.

"Are you really sure about this? It's not quite safe for a woman to be out by herself at such hours." Alex's voice is audible to me for the first time tonight and I must say I'm really impressed with what he said. I think I could really like him, unless, of course, he screws up.