Part 14

I'm in a state of shock and despair. The moment I opened the door, my brain stopped working and perceived everything around me. If I had thought for forty years, I would never have imagined finding Jungkook outside my door like that. Especially not after such a beautiful evening, fearing something bad might have happened between his friends and him.

What could have happened that someone beat him up so badly that he can't even stand upright, let alone open his eyes? Who has treated him so barbarically?

Jungkook can no longer hold on to the door frame, his strength seems to vanish from all his limbs and he slowly falls forward, but I'm fast enough despite my shock and catch him before his body can collide with the hard floor.

He groans in pain as I put a hand on his chest and the other on his ribs to keep him on his feet. His head is hanging low and his hair covers most of his face. But as I try to reaffirm his arm on my shoulder, the face, which until a few hours ago was lit up with his laughter and had no injuries, comes into view. 

His lip is burst open, his right eye is painted with deep dark shades, the blood flowing from his nose is now almost dry and he has a lacerated wound on his cheek. It breaks my heart to see him like this and I curse the one who did this to him, for no human being treats a living being so cruelly. I try to carry him over to the sofa with all the strength that I have in my body, his minimal help, and his body weight making this task even harder than I had hoped. He drags his feet heavily across the floor and I wonder how he even managed to get all the way from his workshop to my apartment.

At the edge of the sofa, Jungkook takes his arm off my shoulder and literally throws himself on the soft surface. A long groan escapes from his lips and his face distorts due to the painful impact with the sofa. He puts a hand on his stomach while breathing heavily and opens his eyes slowly, the first thing he gets to see is me kneeling next to the sofa.

"What happened to you? Who did this to you?" I ask as I raise my hand to brush the sweaty hair away from his forehead.

"Some guys came into my garage after you all left. Before I could even react, they all started punching me at once," he grunts breathing hard as he looks up at me, me now hovering over him as I flush the pillow under his head.

"What did they want from you?"

"Some kind of revenge, I guess. I didn't know most of them. There were seven or eight guys in all. After they surrounded me and put me on the ground, they started kicking me with their feet. Then they picked me up, two of them held me by the arms. Another guy came and I recognized him. It was the same guy who bothered you with his friend in the evening of the karaoke bar, the one who said I'm going to regret it because I helped you," he coughs and I get up quickly to pour water into a glass that is standing on the small coffee table, which I then bring to his lips so he can take a sip from it. "I don't know how they found my workshop, but he was the one who ruined my face."

I don't know how to react to that. I'm so sorry that he was beaten up because of me, but the guilt that is eating me up inside makes it impossible for me to find the right words. If he hadn't saved me that night, none of this would have happened.

"I'm so sorry. This is all my fault." I lower my head, genuinely sad and angry about all the things I'm to blame for.