Family Attacked

People came on our land and destroyed the fence for no reason just because they felt like it. John got mad and said me, him and kayce were done with summer camp. Bree and Tate have school now with Monica and kayce was changed to livestock commissioner meaning he had to work full time. Now my time is spent on the Dutton ranch with the Cowboys of the Bunkhouse. I'm saddling up my horse while Rip enters the barn. "You know y/n. I think this is the first in a long time or let's say ever, that you haven't had little B or Kayce hangin around ya" he chuckled at the end. I smiled at him as he helps me lead my horse out. "I believe you're right Rip. Oh and congrats on getting engaged to Beth." He grinned before the cowboys came out heading to rangle in cattle. Rip got on his horse pointing a finger to the distance "I'd say come with us, but I think the boss wants to speak with ya." with that he races to meet the others. I turned around walking my horse over to John. Kayce and I had told him we planned to have the wedding in 2 days - of course that's if this family can manage a day off for our wedding and Beth's. John cleared his throat tipping his hat up a little and I do the same since he's taller than me, I'm wearing a gray tea shirt under a dark green flannel with torn dark blue jeans and brown boots. "Y/n, I've got a business meeting with a bunch of politicians...but I thought we'd take a drive together." I gasped stunned that he'd want to do that. Sure I live on his ranch yet we hadn't really talked to one another. Bree talks about him nonstop. "Sure, mr. Dutton." He nods letting me put my horse up in the barn before we climbed in the truck. The meeting didn't go well because jamie isn't on our side anymore so John scored me and beth out. Beth went to her office to clear out her things and the two of us drove home. I look out the window fiddling with my ring on my hand and a rope necklace that bree made. John notes "Y/n, I need to tell you something-" he trails off and I hummed telling him to continue "there's one constant thing in life. You build something worth having, someone's gonna try and take it." I nodded kinda understanding what he's saying. "What I'm saying is Bree is this families legacy with Tate. The ranch is our home...people want to take it. So with you marrying kayce you're joining that fight. Are you up for that?" Resting my back against the passenger chair I replied. "Sure Mr. Dutton-" he cuts in. "John - call me John y/n." I asked a little scared "are you sure?". John glances my way before watching the road again. "You're joining this family. The easiest thing you can do is call me John instead of Mr. Dutton." I nod my head aiming a finger towards a car pulled on the side of the road.

"John look!" He pulls over getting out first with me behind him in toe. My phone rings and I answered it "yeah kayce I'll be home in a few minutes." quickly hanging up to hear the lady ask for help. John finds the spare tire, asking her young boy "you wanna learn a life skill?" The boy quizzes "What's a life skill?" I bend down on a knee taking the tools from John to answer the boy. "It's something that helps you grow in life." An hour later the woman asks us both as we're about to be finished changing the tire. "What do I owe you two, I don't have anything really.." John tells her. "This is how people are out here. They help each other." I chime in as my phone rings again and I read the caller ID as kayce. "You don't owe us anything ma'am." Getting up off the ground I walked a few feet away from the others to listen to kayce explain the job he was offered to me and Monica.

"Wait a politician. That's the thing you said you didn't want to be" I told him through the phone. He sighs having Monica say the same thing basically about lying to her. He's never lied to me about anything so this causes a fight between him and Monica. Something hurts through the door on the other end and then I hear a loud thud like a desk being tipped over and gunshots. Monica's screaming in terror meets my ears before I lose signal "kayce - kayce - y/n. What's happening-"

I gasped terrified for kayce. I heard the gunshots and knew he used to be a navy seal but still he could get killed. A van pulls up beside the broken down car where the lady is watching her son. John gets off the ground hollering out. "Thanks for stopping but we've got it covered!" I ran over to his side, a little concerned. "Uh - John...kayce's-" I'm cut off by the driver in the truck. "Are you two John Dutton and Y/n L/n?" John answered "yes, why?". The Van's backdoor opened and someone with a gun starts firing at us. John is shot at a lot and I ran trying to warn the mother and her son but I'm shot in the leg and near my heart. I collapse to the dirt seeing the two get shot anyway. I moaned in pain passing out, letting my phone slip in the grass from my hands. "John!"