Choosing What We Want

Entering the barn I heard voices coming from one of the horse stalls. Removing my hat from my head I sit it on the saddle of my horse walking over towards the voices recognizing Carter and Bree. "What are you two talking about in here?"

"Oh hi momma...nothing important." Bree quickly replied focusing her gaze on me.

Carter removed his hat sitting it on his lap. He was feeding a baby Cafe at the moment before I caught them. "Just feeding her. I think she likes me, Mrs. Dutton."

"Of course she likes you. You're feeding her so she thinks you're her momma." Rip's voices entered the barn tilting his head towards the doorway telling me to follow him. Following after his footsteps I shoved my hands in the pockets of my jeans.

"What's going on, Rip?" I questioned hearing the young teens going back to talking and laughing about something I didn't know. It's been a few days since the party for John becoming governor so we haven't got to talk.

He tipped his hat down following two agents searching for some dead wolves. "I need you to lead the boys today. Also it's Loiyd's birthday." Once he's good I make my way into the bunkhouse seeing the crew already up and ready.

"Hi Y/n, what are you doing here?" Ryan came up with a smile being the first one to say anything.

Placing my light brown hat on my head again Loiyd entered the room where I smiled his direction. "Happy birthday, Lloyd. Let's go Rip put me in charge today." For the most part everything went well. Pulling the reigns on my horse to make it stop I saw my husband standing near his father. Leaving the boys in the field I ride up on them dismounting my horse slowly walking over to them. "Where are the twins. I thought you were picking them up from school?"

"I did. They're inside the house watching TV." Kayce replied leaning his elbows on the fence post beside his father. Standing on the other side of my husband I do the same just looking out at the horizon. "I needed to talk to you and dad about something. So it's actually good your here, darling."

John and I glanced to one another waiting to here what he had to say. We both knew he thinks with his heart most of the time anyhow. "What do you need to discuss with us, son?"

"I've been thinking lately. I can't do both things dad. I can't be livestock commissioner and be here for my family..." Kayce sighed bending his head down with a heavy sigh. Closing my eyes briefly I knew it would only be a matter of time before he made this choice. Even the day he got the job I knew he was against it. "I missed eleven years of Bree's life...I don't want to lose anymore time with her or the twins for that matter. So I  - im giving you this back, dad. It's what I choose to do." He reaches into the pocket of his brown jacket handing him the commissioner badge.

My father in law takes the badge from his son's hands nodding simply. "If that's what you want then we can do that."

"So you're gonna work here with me then, Kayce?" I asked feeling the wind blowing my hair in front of my face. It suprised me a little considering he once told me he would never work for his father.

He intertwined my left hand with his right we lock eyes with each other. "I'm not choosing a job or where it will be. I'm choosing you and our children. For Bree, Tate, Elsa and Dallas." He squeezes his hand in mine leaning forward kissing my forehead. Laying my head against his shoulder the three of us just stood there in silence for a few hours.

Once night had hit everyone was inside the bunkhouse except for me and Kayce. John was inside the main house enjoying the piece. The twins were spending the night over at my parents house with Tate. Bree was in the bunkhouse with Carter. Sitting on the front porch swimg I wrapped a blanket around myself before Kayce sat down beside me. "You shouldn't still be holding regrets over your head about me and Bree. You do know that right?"

"It's hard not too, Y/n. I know we've had the conversation over and over again but I still think about it. I missed her first steps, first words....and here I am now getting to see that all with Elsa and Dallas." He slumped his shoulders removing his hat with a sigh. "I still feel guilty over my mistakes.."

Staring at my husband I hated seeing him like this. I loved him with my heart and I always would no matter what he's done. "Come here, Kayc." I mumbled laying his head on my chest. Resting my chin on top of his head running my fingers through his brown curly hair.

"I never stopped loving you, Y/n..." He mumbled just listening to my heartbeat enjoying when I played with his hair. It was always something that made him feel better.

Kissing his forehead I tilted his chin up so he'd look me in the eye. He blinked away some tears just staring into my eyes now. "I love you too, Kayce. No matter what happened between us. I'll never stop."

Suddenly before anything else could happen we heard everyone come out of the bunkhouse where Ryan waved us over to follow them to wherever they were going. "Y/n, Kayce come on. Beth's buying birthday drinks for Lioyd!" Kayce and I chuckled reluctantly following the cowboy crew to a bar in town. Entering the building I grinned catching sight of Ryan's girl he danced with at John's party.

"Hey Ryan!" Grabbing the back of his shirt pulling him back towards me. He nods following where my index finger was pointing to. The Abby girl was singing on stage with people covering the dance floor. "Go get her cowboy."

He tips his hat to her while she headed towards the bar for a drink smiling at him. "Hey look my cowboys back."

"Care for a drink or a dance?" He asked her with a cheeky grin.

She takes his hand in hers letting him lead her somewhere. "I'll take both."

Picking up my beer from the bartender I take a long sip feeling arms wrap around my waist from behind. "Let's have some fun tonight. For once we have no kids around." Leaning into his touch I giggled letting him tug me onto the dance floor. Resting my hands on his shoulders he put his hands on my hips starting to sway.

"I'm happy you're choosing our family. I never thought we would get to have nights like this again after the attack." I replied leaning up on my toes kissing him slowly. He leans down falling in with the kiss until I heard glass being shattered.

Breaking the kiss I watched my sister in law fighting with a girl with dark brown hair. "Get your fucking hands off me!" She screamed when a bouncer grabbed her by the neck.

"Get your hands off her!" Rip swung a punch towards the other causing the other bunkhouse cowboys and Teeter to start fights around us too. Which only results in the police getting called.

Police officers shoved Beth in the car as I drew my badge from my belt not thinking she should be arrested. "Sir, that's the governor's daughter."

"Put the badge away ma'am. This isn’t a livestock situation." The sheriff responded when I felt Kayce's hand rest on my lower back. My phone started ringing in my pocket so I moved away from my husband.

Pressing the phone to my ear I asked not really sure who would be calling me this late. "Who is this?"

"Y/n, it's John. I got to thinking since Kayce is stepping down. How would you like to be livestock commissioner?" My father in law questioned through the phone. Glancing back to my husband he looked back to me.

Comments really appreciated ❤️