The Slow Side...You're Wrong

Kayce, Lee and I all climbed down our horses from our day ride. Holding Kayce's head down while I climbed down my horse. My boots hit the dirt as the sun was setting on the horizon. "So what did you think of the land, Y/n?"

"It's beautiful. I've never seen anything like it." I responded to Lee's question where he took the reins of my horse and led them towards the barn.

Kayce led his own following us as we walked until he walked beside me where I had to look up since he was taller than I am. "That's good that you enjoyed it. So uh....would you be okay with going to get some dinner with me tonight or some other time?"

"Wait a minute. Are you asking me out on a date, Kayc?" Whipping my head around when I spun on my feet I blush not expecting to have him ask me that when we had just met a few hours ago. I mean he was an attractive guy but again we had just met this morning.

He gently put his horse in the stall shutting the door behind the horses tail where Lee had already left us alone. He hung up the white cowboy hat he was wearing on a hook showing his curly brown hair for my view. "Uh yeah. I get it if you don't want to..."

"I'd like to do that. I'd like to go on a date with you sometime, Kayce." Taking his hat off of my head, handing it back to him where he set it on his head smiling at me.

He gestured towards the door where I followed him to the front porch never dreaming that I would call this place home thirteen years later. "Good. I'll pick you up from your parents at six."

Dallas and Elsa were playing on the front porch when Tate and I were coming back from the fields since he had asked if he could help us out. It would be a few more weeks before John, Rip and the remaining bunkhouse workers return to the ranch after being away. "When is Bree gonna stop walking around the house with a bouncy belly?"

"Tate, be nice to your sister now." I warned him with a raised brow kicking my horse in the belly to race back to the barn with him in tow behind me.

Once we reached the barn he dismounted his horses sitting his tan hat on the saddle making a face at me. "Have you seen her belly? It looks like she might explode or something."

"Hey, what did I just say." Spinning on my feet I waved my fingers at him where he raised his hands up in the air following me towards the main house. "And even though she feels like crap right now. You need to remember that you will be an uncle soon. That is just as important as being an older brother."

Walking up the front porch steps I held the door opened letting Tate inside first. The second we stepped inside I caught a whiff of the smell of baked goods almost. Finding my way into the kitchen I halted in my tracks seeing that there was a mess of flour and other ingredients on the kitchen floor. "Mommy, we're making biscuits!" Elsa threw her hands up, flinging her messy hands around my knock where I almost dropped her on the floor.

"Oh Elsa!" I grunt shifting my hands underneath her butt so her head was laying on my shoulder. "Who's idea exactly was this?"

Bree sat down the oven mits after closing the oven where the biscuits are cooking. Her stomach was round and a lot bigger where Tate was right that she did look like a balloon. "The baby has been craving biscuits so I was trying to recreate the recipe that was marked as grandma Evelyn's. But Elsa decided to throw half the ingredients around like a monkey."

"Woah what are ya'll doing down here?" Someone came down the stairs where I turned my head seeing it was Dallas and Kayce who was carrying his guitar in his hands.

"Trying to make your mothers famous biscuits it seems. But I doubt she was as messy as this one is." I tickled Elsa by her feet where she squealed until I sat her back down on the wooden floor.

Dallas ran up to his sister and picked up some flour from the floor throwing it on her. "Flour fights!" She begins throwing some back at him and it goes on for a few minutes.

"Why do you have the guitar. I thought you only sang songs around our anniversary. I mean not that I'm complaining, I'm just curious." Crossing my arms over my chest I smiled at my cowboy husband seeing him take a seat on the main couch in front of the fireplace.

He sat the instrument on his lap eyeing our eldest daughter. "Hey B, bring a towel down so your messy siblings can sit. Tate, go help her then come here. I heard a song on the radio that I think is talking about me and your mother a little bit. So I thought I'd try it out myself."

"Alright Kayc, let's hear this song from the radio." I clasped my hands together plopping down beside him. Tate and Bree managed to wrangle their twin siblings, all four sitting down in front of us.

Kayce began strumming his fingers on the guitar strings avoiding our gaze for a moment as he played. "Well, you know how it goes. When you meet somebody. That you like somebody. Wanna hold somebody. But you just can't stand. To think about somebody. As another somebody. Becoming someone else. When it all goes to hell. Why can't we keep it on the sweet side. See how it feels to take a slow ride. This time."

"So you try to run away from the one somebody. That you like somebody. Wanna hold somebody. But you can't stay away from the one somebody. 'Cause there ain't nobody else running through your dreams. So we complicate things." He began shifting his gaze upward seeing that the kids were now clapping to the beat.

I grinned at him where we met the others gaze where I started tapping my boots on the wooden floor. "Why can't we keep it on the sweet side. See how it feels to take a slow ride. This time. You don't need to meet my mama. You don't need the key to my house. We don't need to dream and plan and scheme. Ain't nothing here to figure out."

"Wouldn't it be nice just to find somebody. That you like somebody. Wanna hold somebody. And you didn't have to worry about losing somebody. 'Cause you pushed somebody, a little too hard, too fast. I could use some of that." Kayce and I slowly sang in unison where we both started laughing together finishing the song. "I wanna get back on the sweet side. I wanna get back on the slow ride. Want every kiss to give me butterflies. See that oh, baby come here look in your eyes. This time.This time."

Bree got to her feet grinning brightly at her father resting her hands on her stomach. "That was great dad...oh!" She bent her knees a little, moaning in pain.

"Bree!" Jumping to my feet I rushed towards her placing a hand on her shoulder trying to figure out what was wrong with her.

Kayce jumped up to his feet shortly after hearing the front door opened and Carter hung his hat on the wall seeing that we were all concerned about something. "What is going on here?"

"Mom, dad, what's happening?" Dallas and Elsa huddled to their feet alongside Tate when he stared at his sister.

Bree bent down lower to the wooden floor once Carter had rushed over to her side and I gasped seeing water coming from between her legs since she was wearing just a dress and some socks after her shorts were tighter. "Oh my god. I think the babies coming."

"Oh shit!" Carter cursed under her breath getting a glare from me. "Um sorry."

Kayce and I frantically turned our head towards one another sharing the same terrified look that we weren't expecting this yet. Her due date wasn't supposed to be until the rest of the family got back in town. "Call the helicopter!"

Comments really appreciated ❤️

Author  - The song mentioned in this chapter is from the show Nashville and it is called This Time