Tough Scars and Scares

Rubbing my daughter's back while she was still puking whatever was in her stomach from last night. The morning sickness for her is a lot worse than what I went through with any of my kids. Holding her hair back I helped her lean back against my chest. "I am going to be so happy when I don't get sick anymore."

"Trust me baby this won't be the hardest part of being pregnant." I whispered, pushing her hair away from her eyes rising to my feet.

Kayce was downstairs in the kitchen making breakfast for her trying to help her out. Tugging Bree up to stand she wraps her arms around me since she was unstable from being so sick this morning. We made our way down the stairs letting her sit down at the kitchen table. "Thanks mom."

"You're welcome. Kayce, can we talk on the porch alone please?" I asked my husband, gently grabbing his forearm leading him out onto the back porch shutting the door behind us.

He raised a brow at me, shoving his hands in the brown jacket pockets. "What's going on, darlin'. You don't seem like yourself since we got back."

"I got a phone call a few weeks ago. The night we had that huge thunderstorm and it was from Jamie." I huffed wrapping my arms tightly around myself beginning to feel a nervous pit grow in my stomach. It had been eating away at me because I knew he knew everything that the rest of Montana didn't know.

"What did he say, honey?" He asked me to step closer until I walked around my husband leaning against one of the pillars on the porch looking out over the land.

"He is coming after me, Kayc..." I mutter under my breath where he almost couldn't hear me.

He asked again, moving closer behind my back, placing a hand on my shoulder so I would look him in the eye. "Y/n, what did he call you about exactly? You can tell me anything you know."

"He's coming after me, Kayce. He threatened to tell our children the truth about the train station and everything else that we are hiding from the town. Unless I help him impeach your father from office." Spinning around on my feet I felt some tears falling down my face.

His brown eyes scanned over my body, not used to seeing me crying over something like this. I mean he has seen me cry before but not about something when it came to fighting for this land. I owed almost everything I have to this family and to the land attached to the name. "Hey, hey, easy come here." He opened his arms where I ran into his chest clutching the fabric of his jacket. "Now you listen to me honey. Jamie is not going to come after you or our children. He knows that family comes first always on this ranch."

"But he has the closed charge of when the sheriff tried to lock me up on not having a license to carry a firearm when we were made livestock agents in a field." I drew slightly back away from him shaking my head seeing that he wasn't getting the seriousness.

Kayce rested his hand on my cheek feeling me lean in while his freehand was on my waist holding me closer to him. "Y/n, we beat that charge and we will handle this like always. We are Duttons and Duttons don't back down - what are you doing here, brother?"

"What?" Whipping my head around I shivered seeing that Jamie was standing beside his car in the driveway staring up at us, meaning that I didn't even hear his car pull up at all. "What the hell are you doing here, Jamie!"

He slowly walked up the stairs causing me and Kayce to separate from one another. This is the first time he has come back to the ranch so it was quite strange seeing him here. Thankfully it wouldn't get more awkward since the kids were off doing their own things. "I was hoping to talk with you, Y/n. You didn't really give me an answer during our last phone call."

"That's because I didn't give you one." I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest tipping the front of my black cowgirl hat to the adopted Dutton son.

"Is there any chance that we could talk in private?" He asked once more.