Great Father-in-law

"Kayce, where are you taking me?" I asked as climbed some hills after we dismounted our horses. He had put a blindfold over my eyes saying it was a suprise. He finally stopped walking unfolding the fold where I blinked my eyes to adjust to the morning sunrise. There are some tents set up with a small campfire for when the small goes down later in the evening. "You said you wanted to go back to the camp. So I think we deserve a do over." He spoke wrapping his arms around me from behind until I spun around to face him kissing him. He smiled kissing me back until giggling appeared behind us. We break apart seeing Tate and Bree running up to us chasing after each other. Another horse rides up seeing its John who tips his brown hat up a bit. "Sorry they followed the tracks. Rip and Beth are watching the twins though." I playfully shake my head knowing that we might not get much alone time on this trip.

Kayce bends his head down shaking his with a chuckle. The wind blows through my hair as John pulled out his phone with a smile. "No signal is music to my ears." He puts his phone in his pocket walking over seeing his grandchildren chasing each other in the fields. I slowly walked up to my father in law crossing my arms over my chest. "Seeing that almost makes you forget the bad moments..." John turns his head my direction sensing that I'm mentioning more than just the attacks on the family in the last couple months. He glanced over his shoulder seeing his youngest son settling up a fire for the night to come. "Are you ever going to tell him about...the early years?" His voice went deeper making me whip my head up to his, removing my cowgirl hat playing with it in my hands. "I only think it would make him get filled with more regret for leaving me." John tips his hat up his eyes staying trained on Bree. Her hair in pigtails as she wrestled Tate to the ground laughing.

"Ssshh sweetheart. Everyone else is trying to sleep." I whispered trying to get Bree to go back to her nap but she was being a difficult baby tonight. Standing in the kitchen I try swaying her to sleep until I heard foosteps coming down the stairs. Lifting my gaze up I see it's John in a tousled sleep shirt and some shorts, rubbing the sleep from his eyes he mumbled. "Restless granddaughter huh?" I drop my gaze to the floor not being happy that I woke him up. He stepped up picking up and cradling in his strong arms humming something to her.

John had told my parents that I was allowed to live in his house to raise his grandchild. Even though my parents didn't disown me or throw me out. All four of us weren't happy with the crappy thing Kayce did. I don't think we would ever accept what he did. But it doesn't matter, Bree had become the most important thing in my life. "John, I'm sorry that she woke you. I can take care of her-" He shakes his head seeing her eyes finally closed and a light snore from her mouth making him smile. "Don't you ever be sorry for this Y/n. This little one is the only grandchild I get to see right now. She'll always be my little cowgirl."

I gently lay her down in her crib in my room with John standing in the doorway breaking the silence in a low whispering. "Never regret joining this family, darlin." I whipped my head up at his words never believing he would catch it in my appearance. There were some nights that I would go to Rip’s cabin and we would drink on his porch for a few hours. "John it's not against you. It's not against your home and...I'm just trying to..." He stepped up wiping away my tears and opening his arms for a hug. "Trying to mend a broken heart...I completely understand honey." Lee his oldest son had told me about their mother's accident and that it broke the family.

Kayce stared off your direction seeing you tickling Bree who's grin had only grown. Tate ran up jumping into the tickling war as his father stands by him. "She's grown from the girl you remember, son." John broke the silence turning his head towards him. Kayce tilts his head down removing his black cowboy hat. "I screwed up dad....for eleven years. I never should have gone with Monica...." He lets tears slip trying to picture how you raised your daughter on your own. His father rested a hand on his shoulder feeling sorry for his son. "Kayce, everyone makes mistakes. She's forgiven you. You have to forgive yourself though." Kayce puts his hat back on his head spinning his wedding ring on his left hand. You got to your feet glancing over your shoulder as the sun was setting behind you. It was that moment that he knew he had to find a way to make it to you for the years lost. Because you are the only woman he would love.

Comments really appreciated :)

Hey ya'll this chapter is leading up to the next where it will be fluffy moments between Kayce and the reader