Letter Storm.

Thunder roared outside the large windows of the Dutton house. Kayce and I had called in today and asked the assistant to call us if it was an emergency. I had started working at the Livestock Office again since the Sheriff and I no longer have issues. Rummaging around in the bag that Bree had found the other day with letters from Spencer and Cara Dutton. Picking up the pile of papers I headed into the living room seeing my husband sitting on the couch. "Where are the kids at, Kayc?"

"Tate is playing with the twins inside the barn. And I think Carter and Bree are upstairs thinking of baby names. Oh and don't tell her but I took one of the security cameras from work and hid it in her room." He sends me a smirk while I round the couch plopping down beside him.

Raising a brow at his words there were some times that he went overboard. This was one of those moments. "Kayce, don't you think that is a little much. I mean she's already pregnant."

"Doesn't mean they can't still sleep together again, darling. What are those letters you have?" He draped his arm behind me scooting closer seeing the envelopes in my lap.

Unfolding one of the letters I had pulled out I lay my head on his chest with him moving his arm to wrap around my waist. "Bree found them one morning. I haven't read any of them so I just thought it would be interesting too. They seem to be dated from your ancestors named Spencer and Cara Dutton."

"Well go ahead and read one then." He told me simply looking up at the window seeing that the rain was starting to pick up and hit the glass softly.

Shifting so I was snuggled up against his warm embrace I cleared my throat attempting to read the old handwriting. "Alex, I am not good at writing. I am just a man of action who doesn't waste moments in life. When I met you I was struggling with what happened during the war. I didn't really care what happened when I was hunting animals. You have made my life better since then so I decided to write this letter to you. For when we are reunited at my family's ranch. I will find a way back to you, Spencer."

"I think I remember dad mentioning that there was a hunter in our family. What do the other ones say, Y/n?" He asked me to move some of them around and hand me another one. He honestly enjoyed it when I would read to him like he was still a child. I figured it had something to do with losing his mother at such a young age.

I did wish some days that I could get to know my mother in law. Be able to tell her how much I loved and adored her youngest son. That she could see her beautiful grandchildren the way John does. Evelyn Dutton was missed by everyone in this household. "Um let's see. Oh here's one that's written from Alex I think...Dear Spencer, I am burning to be with you again. I managed to get off the ship we were on and am now hoping to find passage to Montana. My love for you only grows during the time we are apart. Until we reunite, my love."

"Awe this is so sweet. I can't believe that they were separated." My husband responded back, lifting up and meeting my gaze. We heard footsteps coming from down the stairs where we both turned our heads seeing our daughter and Carter.

Bree had her bag in her hands, sending me a look. "Hey mom. Dad, could we go get something to eat in town. I am craving ice cream and we are out?"

Kayce and I turned our heads back at each other both sharing the same look. The rain had stopped for a little bit and it wasn't supposed to storm any worse until later tonight. "I guess so but just remember that you need to be back before the storm comes. I don't want any of my children outside tonight."

"We will be. Thanks uh...Mrs. Dutton." Carter tipped his hat, taking my daughter's hand in his, leading her out the front door towards the truck since he was old enough to drive now.

It was an hour after they left that the thunder and lightning had begun picking up. Kayce had gone to bring the other kids inside the house and close up the barn. Closing the fridge I had put some microwaved pizza on some plates giving them to the kids to eat. Kayce and I had crawled into bed where he opened one of the drawers of the nightstand beside the bed. He pulled out a notepad showing it to me. "I went and snooped in our daughter's room and I found this. I think that's why she was keeping the letters."

"She was thinking of baby names. Jewels, Gordon, Harrison, Spencer and Olivia." I read off the names on the list seeing the lights of the house flickering on and then remained off longer where when they came back on we heard multiple sets of feet on the wooden floor.

The bedroom door got kicked open suddenly where we lifted up noticing that Elsa and Dallas were huddled together. "Mommy, can we sleep with you?" She asked, squeezing her teddy bear to her chest.

"Of course, sweetie." I patted the bedside where she ran forward climbing up and getting in between her daddy and I.

Kayce turned his focus back to his younger son seeing that he was standing in the doorway. "You want up here too, bud. You're mother and I don't mind." The lights went off again where he made a noise at us.

He still remained standing there glancing out into the hallway until I heard Tate's voice. "Dad, he's acting like me...I thought I was too old too - ah!" He jumped now standing behind his younger brother, sending us a concerned look.

"Come on Tate. Age don't matter right now." Tossing the covers aside I picked up my little boy in my arms waiting for Kayce's other child to climb in our bed. The power completely went out where the twins latched onto us in fear.

Tate layed his head on my stomach hearing the front door get slammed open telling us that his sister was home. I didn't feel like getting out of the bed so I just texted her that I was happy she was safe. "At least they got home safe. Now our kids are here." Kayce draped his arm over my shoulder kissing my forehead.

Shutting my eyes I was about asleep until my phone went off on the nightstand. I scooted myself out of the bed doing my best to not wake up the kids since it was hard enough getting them to sleep when there was a heavy storm. Stepping into the hallway I didn't check the caller ID. "Hello who is this exactly?"

"Y/n, this is Jamie. There's some interesting information I discovered recently. And I don't think you want your children to learn what their grandpa really does on that ranch." He responded through the phone making me glance over my shoulder seeing that Kayce was still fast asleep.

Pressing the phone back to my ear I whispered. "What do you want from me, Jamie. And under no circumstances will you come after my children."

"I want John to pay. What I want from you is help me become Governor or I will pull up your records with the sheriff and bring all that past drama back into your life." The former Dutton threatened where I hung up the phone running my fingers through my hair heading back to bed. Jamie had no right to do any kind of threat against me.

Comments really appreciated ❤️ - Send in ideas because I'm stuck