A Positive Family Day

Sitting up in the bed I stretched my arms and legs out seeing the sun was starting to rise above the mountains. Grabbing my hat from the hook in the kitchen I sat it on my head stepping out onto the front porch. The ranch seemed less like normal with half of our people gone with the cattle. I don't think I've ever been here when it was like this. "It's quiet this morning. I didn't think you would be up this early."

Sighing I turned on my boots seeing my husband sitting on the porch swing sipping a cup of coffee. "It is. I just thought - I guess you can't shake something once you do it long enough. So what will we do today Mr. Dutton?"

"I think we should just spend time with the kids today. Since we've always busy every time they are with us. So we could do a movie day, fair or whatever they want." He suggested running his fingers through my hair after I sat down on the swing beside him laying my head on his chest.

Lifting my head up from his embrace I nodded, kissing him slowly. "That's a great idea, Kayc." He leans down kissing me back until we heard the sound of four sets of feet coming down the staircase.

"Well it's time for breakfast huh. Pancakes?" He suggested tugging me back to the house seeing the kids running around the kitchen table until Kayce wissiled making them all sit down.

Bree and Tate were having a tickle fight until they saw us watching them. "Why are you and dad here, normally you're out working early?" The eldest son of the family asked curiously.

"Did mommy and daddy get in trouble?" Elsa asked sitting beside her twin.

Shaking my head I opened the fridge, finding most of the stuff to make pancakes really quick for them. I could have woken Gator up but I also knew how to cook some stuff on my own too. So it's best to let him sleep. "No sweet girl, we didn't get in trouble. Everyone else just had to take a little trip so your daddy and I stayed to watch our beautiful children."

A few minutes later I slide three different types of pancake plates on the table. Two chocolate and one strawberry. Sliding in the chair beside Kayce we each took one chocolate leaving the rest for the boys and Bree. Elsa loved strawberries more than anything. Shoving a bite in my mouth I nodded in my husband's direction giving him the go ahead. "Kids, you're mom and I were thinking about going to the fair today. Since the boys in the bunkhouse will be resting for a day being up late last night helping the others ride off. What do y'all think?"

Dallas spit out some of his food cheering alongside his older brother. "The fair. Let's go!"

"That sounds fun, mom. I'll go tell Carter that I can't go for our morning ride." Bree pushed her chair back grabbing her coat with her long hair getting thrown around. Since John had become governor I had to have the period conversation with our daughter since she had started on her thirteenth birthday before her grandfather became governor.

"She's spending too much time with him for my taste." Kayce mumbled, giving me an annoyed look.

September 10th
"Mom!" Shooting awake in the bed I heard my eldest daughter call out to me from her bedroom tossing the covers aside. I did my best to not wake Kayce since he had been up really late last night.

Peaking my head through her door I saw her sitting on the ground with a red spot stained in her bed crying. "Oh baby. I've got you." Wrapping my arms around her she threw her arms around me where I helped her into the bathroom sitting on the toilet.

Quickly moving back into her bedroom I yanked the sheets off seeing it thankfully didn't go through so I threw them in the hamper dealing with it later. Entering the bathroom I moved her hair from her face seeing her eyes were puffy from crying. "Ssssh sweet girl. I'm gonna ask you a simple question and I want to answer it with how much you know. Do you know what this means?"

"That I can have a....a baby now." Bree sniffed, clutching her hands into fists in her lap. "I didn't think it would come yet. I thought it wouldn't be a mess...what do I do mom?"

Tucking hair behind her ear I pulled her into a hug sucking in a breath knowing this wasn't going to be easy for her. She grabs my shirt until I break the hug holding her shoulders gently staring at my first child. "Bree, listen to me. I don't want you to think that this makes you weaker or that you have to change because it doesn't. From this day forward you can be a lot tougher than most men and that is a gift. Being able to have a baby is a choice. You can still be a rancher my little cowgirl."

"Thank you, mom...do I still get a birthday cake?" I snorted out a laugh at her question nodding my head yes to her.

Kayce parked the truck as I helped the kids inside the fair gates. Elsa tugged my arm seeing a Mary-go-round with ponies yanking me in the direction of it. "Ponies. Ponies!" I let her drag me over to them and the others followed after us.

"Up we go." Kayce picked her up sitting her on one of the horses paying the worker for a round.

Tate and Dallas stood in front of us where I put my hands on my hips raising a brow to the boys. "What do you need from us, my boys?"

"Can me and Bree have money to take Dallas around?" Tate asked, moving his tan cowboy hat up looking us in the eye.

Kayce sighed, handing him some money hollering to them as they ran off towards the bumper carts with Bree and Dallas trying to quickly finish eating a funnel cake. "Be careful. Don't make yourselves sick!" Intertwining my hand with his left Elsa was giggling on the metal horse that she could ride by herself compared to having to be held by one of us on a real one at home. "Anymore I feel like all we are is a bank and a driver."

"Hey don't worry. They are king being kids. That's what is important." I replied turning around and we started watching our youngest again. Unknown to us that Bree had run into the bathroom throwing up more than just the cake she had eaten feeling sick before she ever got onto a ride.

A few hours we drove the kids back to the ranch. Tate headed upstairs opening the door for us. I was carrying a sleeping Elsa and Kayce had Dallas. Bree was strangling behind us so she was the one to close the front door. Laying the twins down in the bed Tate and Kayce went to sit in front of the fireplace enjoying the dinner Gator had made for the bunkhouse. Slowly walking out to the barn I could hear crying inside the doorway so I peaked my head in. "Bree. Carter, what is going on?"

"Oh geez fuck. Mrs. Dutton..." Carter cursed, spinning around on his boots fears written all over his face. "I didn't mean for this to happen we just - we didn't it would happen the first time."

Entering the barn I held my hands up not wanting to see him start crying or something. Bree avoided my gaze nervously playing with her hair that she had done since she was six years old. "Bree, look at me. Please tell me what the hell he is talking about?"

My daughter finally met my gaze, muttering the words I never expected to hear from her mouth, causing me to see my own life flash before my eyes. "I'm...pregnant."

Comments really appreciated ❤️