HIM

15 YEARS AGO - BANGKOK

"Are you alright?" Mew could vaguely hear the voice. He was so hungry as he had not eaten in days. The last thing he ate made him violently ill.
"I will find you something to eat. Wait for me." The kind voice told him.

    Mew wrapped his arms around his body tighter. His home was a small enclosure under a bridge that could protect him rain and sunshine. He had no idea how that person could have even seen him there. Nonetheless, hunger gripped him again. He did not even want to think about the voice. He was so hungry but he did not have any energy to do anything. He closed his eyes. The sound of traffic above lulled him to sleep. Maybe this time he would not wake up and face hunger anymore. Mew wondered if that was the best. Mew had no idea how long he was sleeping when suddenly he was woken up by the same voice again.

"I'm back... I'm sorry that I took too long. I had to steal... I mean borrow my brother's money."
"I have some food and water for you."

    The person came back; Mew thought. The unknown person came back for him. Mew could feel the person put his head on his lap. He tried to open his eyes. He could only see a silhouette of a boy.

"Drink this..." The boy urged him as he slowly let Mew sip some water. It tasted weird.
"Don't worry... This is an energy drink... To give you energy!" He explained to Mew.
"Drink some more... You need it."

Mew slowly swallowed the drink. He coughed a few times but the boy patiently waited and made him drink some more of the energy drink. The boy also gently wiped his mouth. Mew welcomed the boy's gentleness and kindness.

"I don't know what you like... I took some rice and vegetables from home." He explained.

The scent of food was heavenly. Mew's stomach made such a horrible sound that made him feel embarrassed. Surprisingly, the boy laughed.

"You must be hungry.... You need to sit up... Can you sit up?" He asked Mew.
"I... I don't know." Mew whispered hoarsely.
"Let me help you..." The boy said as he carefully help Mew to sit up. The younger boy propped Mew up on the concrete wall for support.

Mew could finally see the boy clearly. The boy was younger than him. Mew himself was 14 or 15;  while the boy was about 9 or 10. He had the most carefree smile on his face. His eyes twinkled as he stared at Mew.

"I'm sorry if it's not delicious... My brother Zee cooked them and he is a really bad cook!" The boy grinned.

The boy slowly fed Mew the rice and the vegetables he brought. To Mew they tasted scrumptious. He closed his eyes and savour the food brought by the unknown boy. Mew did not notice how much or how long he had been eating when suddenly the boy stopped feeding him. Mew slowly opened his eyes.

"You really like Zee's food huh?" The boy smiled.
"Thank you." Mew murmured as he stared at the boy.
"I bought some bread and some water for you. We don't have much money but I hope they are enough for you." The boy explained.
"I have here a blanket and some clothes." He put 2 red plastic bags. One had the clothes while the other the food.
"I better head home and do my homework. If not Zee would kill me!" He slowly climbed out from the small place under bridge that Mew called home.
"You take care." The boy jumped from the ledge to the ground.
"By the way... My name is Gulf." He waved his hand leaving Mew behind.