12: Squeals

Listen to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper

Never underestimate the importance of having fun.
- Randy Pausch

Chapter 12: Squeals.

-

I BLINKED ONCE AGAIN just to make sure my eyes weren't fooling me. Right in front of me, Liam was making out with someone and they were clearly too into it to notice that we were in the room. I cleared my throat awkwardly then he stopped kissing the girl and turned around. Then to my shock and horror she was...

Brittany?

I kissed my teeth very loudly then walked past the two of them. Selena walked quickly beside me, trying to keep up with my pace. I jogged down the stairs and sped walked to the front door, opening it and slamming it very loudly behind me. I walked down the front porch and got to the car that Selena and I used to come for the party. Selena rushed out of the door and asked, "Are we leaving now?"

"Yup," I said and extended my hand for the car keys.

"Already?" She groaned and handed me the car keys.

"Yeah," I collected them from her and opened the car.

I slipped into the driver's seat and started the car.

"Do you have a licence?" Selena asked while hastily buckling her seat belt.

I had already started driving when I turned to her and smirked, "The police don't know that."

"You're insane."

"Which is why I won't talk to you if you weren't either."

The two of us simultaneously burst into laughter. Let's just say it was a long and funny ride home.

~

"Are you okay though?" Selena asked looking at me through the mirror while I packed my wet curly hair into a messy bun with a few scrunchies.

"Of course I am, why won't I be?"

"You looked really pissed off after you saw Liam kissing Brittany," she said.

"Did I?" I asked absentmindedly and smiling slightly in satisfaction due to my hair which actually decide to stay in a bun and actually look nice.

"I seriously envy your hair right now," she pouted.

"Please don't," I said and laughed humourlessly.

"Anyways, you looked so savage when you were leaving the room," she said and plopped on my bed.

"How?"

"You literally just brushed past them and made that sound......"

"What sound?" I asked.

"That sound you made when you were leaving the room," she continued.

"Oh that," I said and laughed slightly then kissed my teeth.

"Yeah that. It's pretty cool, how d'you learn it?" She asked looking purely interested.

"I don't really know," I said and shrugged, "I guess my Mom used to do it a lot when I was growing up anytime I made her angry or annoyed," I said and smiled wistfully at the memories.

"So you just picked it up over time?" She asked while I joined her on the bed.

"I guess," I said.

"Maybe you'll teach me how to do it one day," she said and pulled her lush black hair which cascaded all the way to her lower back.

"Yeah, maybe."