19: Procrastination

Chapter 19: Procrastination.

"I think the perfection of love is that it's not perfect."
- Taylor Swift.

Listen to Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.

-

"SEE YOU TOMORROW," Sam said.

"You too," I closed the car door before waving one last time and entering my house through the tall black gates.

I jogged to the front door and rang the doorbell. One of the maids answered, I think her name was Sonia, "Good afternoon Miss Kiara."

"Hey," I said walking into the house, "Is my father home?"

"No, he left about thirty minutes ago to attend a dinner party with some of his colleagues." She told me.

"Oh, okay." I turned to go up the stairs and my gaze travelled to the dining room. So big, spacious and beautiful yet lifeless.

I said it was lifeless because according to my mum, where there is love there is life.

But there was no love here. So, there's no life as of now.

I trudged up the stairs with my heart feeling a little heavy in my chest. I got to my room and decided to take a shower.

The shower for me has always been a place of more than mere hygiene. For me, it had been a place of solitude, a place where I just stay to recollect my thoughts, to recollect myself, to cry my eyes out whenever I feel blue. It's my refuge, my comfort zone, my sanctuary and my haven.

I had just taken my school skirt off along with my blazer so I was in just my white shirt when I heard my ringtone blaring loudly. I picked up my phone and answered without even checking who it was.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Liam."

"Oh, hi Liam. Why d'you call?" I asked casually.

"I just wanted to ask if you got home safely," he said.

"Oh," that was...weird? "I did. Thanks for asking. Sam dropped me off a few minutes ago."

"Good to know," there was an edge to his voice and I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or he just saw something that annoyed him. Either way, it was none of my business.

"So, I'll see you at school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, bye." he said.

"Bye," he ended the call almost as soon as I said that.

I sat lazily on my chair and pushed my bath time forward just a little more.

The power of procrastination.

I laughed inwardly and opened my messages.

I only got one from Selena asking me how the rest of my day went and telling me that she gave Sam my number. I called her and we talked about how the rest of my day went while she gushed on and on about how lucky I was to meet so many cute guys.

Eventually we spent over an hour talking on the phone before we bade each other our good byes. By the time I was done, it was already past eight in the evening and I still hadn't taken that shower.

~

"I suck in chemistry," I told Sam with a small laugh.

"Well, fortunately for you, your dearest lab partner is a science wiz," Sam smirked. His smirk was so similar to Liam's.