5: Don't

Chapter 5: Don't.

Listen to Boss Bitch by Doja Cat.

"She's not a bitch, she's just less likely to put up with your shit."
- Unknown.

-

UNKNOWN: YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL WHEN YOU SMILE.

What? This can't possibly be Selena. Then who is it? Nobody else has my number. This is too much thinking. I brought my assignment in Biology out of my bag so that I could do it and get it off my mind. I couldn't concentrate. My mind kept drifting back to the text message. I opened my phone and looked at it again. I just couldn't place my finger on whoever sent it. I sighed and got back to work. I finished my biology assignment and stuffed the papers into my bag after stapling them together. I laid on my huge bed and stared at the ceiling. I thought about the message again.

You're beautiful when you smile.

The person didn't even leave a hint. I stood up from my bed and went to the bathroom. I stared at my reflection in the mirror.

Beautiful.

Was that even a word that could be used to classify me? My gaze lingered on my grey-blue eyes. That was probably the only resemblance between me and Father. Except his were cold and emotionless. My eyes were blank too. I had put up walls over time to stop people from breaking me more than I have already been broken. I don't need anyone to tear my heart into more pieces. I'm fine all by myself.

You're beautiful when you smile.

The message popped up in my head again. Then I did something utterly stupid. I just smiled in front of the mirror. And when I smiled, I saw warmth in my eyes. Maybe, there was hope. Maybe, I wasn't so strong all by myself, but I'll make it anyway.

With that message of assurance from myself and from an unknown person. I drifted into a deep dreamless slumber.

~

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I ended the call. The phone rang again. And I did the same thing. The person called a third time and I picked up.

"What do you want?" I asked in a groggy voice.

"So you're finally starting to have friends?" I could nearly see him smirk on the other side of the phone.

"What do you want, Liam?" I asked while yawning.

"Oh, nothing. I just wanted to see if my message got delivered." He said calmly.

"Message?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah. And also to tell you that you have about fifteen minutes left to get to school," he said.

"Fifteen minutes?" I removed my phone from my ear to check the time. 7:45. I needed to get to school. Quick!

"Bye," I said to Liam before ending the call.

"I wasn't done with-" and I cut him short.

I had to take the quickest bath of my life.
~
It wasn't until I got to school with my hair in rough ponytail, the wrong boots and a tie that wasn't knotted that I realized that Liam called me and I didn't give him my number. Could he have been the person who sent me the text? I rushed to my locker and dumped my bag inside before bringing my phone out to check the message for the thousandth time since yesterday. I was about to check if the number was the same as the one Liam used to call me when someone slammed my locker in my face. I nearly jumped with fright.