•| ⊱ TWENTY-FIVE

[ chapter twenty-five: hermia ]

° • ° • °

"I hear wovles," Hermia said as she stood up. She hadn't even realized her condition had gotten better. Her witch rune had definitely healed her completely, but her arm was still very much in pain. "From the sounds of it they're close."

Jason rose and summoned his sword. Leo and Coach Hedge got to their feet too. Hermia watched as Piper tried to stand but she couldn't. Mia would have helped her, but right now wasn't the time. Especially when none of her friends trusted her.

"Stay there," Jason told Piper. "We'll protect you."

Hermia watched him and for a second she got jealous over Jason only trying to protect Piper. But soon after, she shook the feeling away and looked forward. Just outside the firelight at the entrance of the cave, she saw a pair of red eyes glowing in dark.

Hermia was about to chant a protection spell so the front of the cave could be blocked. But suddenly more wolves edged into the firelight-black beasts bigger than Great Danes, with ice and snow caked on their fur. Their fangs gleamed, and their glowing red eyes looked disturbingly intelligent. The wolf in front was almost as tall as a horse, his mouth stained as if he'd just made a fresh kill.

Hermia held her hand up and got ready to say her spell. She watched as Jason stepped forward and said something in Latin.

Hermia had no idea what he had said and she didn't think a dead language would have much effect on wild animals, but the alpha wolf curled his lip. The fur stood up along his spine. One of his lieutenants tried to advance, but the alpha wolf snapped at his ear. Then all of the wolves backed into the dark.

"Dude, I gotta study Latin." Leo's hammer shook in his hand. "What'd you say, Jason?"

Hedge cursed. "Whatever it was, it wasn't enough. Look."

The wolves were coming back, but the alpha wolf wasn't with them. They didn't attack. They waited-at least a dozen now, in a rough semicircle just outside the firelight, blocking the cave exit.

The coach hefted his club. "Here's the plan. I'll kill them all, and you guys escape."

"Coach, they'll rip you apart," Piper said.

"Nah, I'm good."

"Wait!" Hermia yelled to them. In a instant they turned to look at her. Confusion clouded there eyes, but she could still see doubt. "I have an idea."

Hermia took a step forward and was about to pass Jason when he caught her good arm. "What are you doing?"

When there eyes met Mia could see he was concerned. He obviously didn't want anything to happen to her. No matter if she lied, but Mia didn't want his petty concern. She didn't need him to protect her, she could protect herself.