•| ⊱ THIRTY-FOUR

[ chapter thirty-four: hermia ]

° • ° • °

Thanks to Piper the group was able to borrow the helicopter. The ride however was filled with Piper's dad mumbling stuff he didn't understand. In some way Mia knew his pain because for most of this quest she's been feeling so lost. The only difference was that Hermia was a demigod and she could handle seeing a giant. Piper's dad on the other hand couldn't.

At the moment the nice ranger pilot was flying them to the Oakland Airport. The whole time while they flew Piper was explaining everything to her dad. But Hermia was lost in her thoughts and didn't pay attention to there conversation.

She couldn't take the image of Lysander's wedding ring out of her mind. She didn't know what to think and as much as she wanted to visit him again through her crystal, she couldn't. Not until she figured out what she was feeling toward Jason. Those thoughts were also running through her mind and they wouldn't leave her alone.

She didn't know if he felt the same way or if she really liked him. How could she possibly like him when she's been in love with Lysander for so long. It hadn't even been that long since Mia woke up from her slumber. She remembered only having thoughts of her boys and waking up holding hand with Jason.

Back then she didn't want to hold his hand because she was desperate to find Lysander. But now everything was different. Hermia had gotten so close to Jason these last couple days, so much so that she actually liked him. But the thoughts of him not trusting her kept playing in her mind.

How could Mia possibly like someone who didn't trust her? Jason had asked if she trusted him, she said yes, but what about him? Did he finally trust her? Or did he still have doubts?

Hermia's gaze moved over to Jason and saw how his eyes were scanning the ground. He seemed to be lost in thought as well, probably because he didn't want to disturb Piper's time with her father. In that moment Hermia would have done anything to be able to read his thoughts.

Suddenly as they passed over the hills into the East Bay, Mia noticed Jason becaming tense. He leaned so far out the doorway Hermia was afraid he'd fall.

Without much of a thought Mia reached over and wrapped her arm around him. Just in case he needed someone to pull him back, she'd be there. She knew he could fly, but that didn't mean she wanted him fly out of the helicopter. "What are you doing!"

Their eyes met for a moment before she noticed he was pointing at something. "What is that?" He asked.

Hermia followed his gaze and looked down, but she didn't see anything interesting-just hills, woods, houses, little roads snaking through the canyons. A highway cut through a tunnel in the hills, connecting the East Bay with the inland towns.

"Did you hit your head or something?" Mia asked as she glanced back at Jason. She gave him a questioning look as he glanced back at her. "I don't see anything."