•| ⊱ TWENTY-SEVEN

[ chapter twenty-seven: leo ]

° • ° • °

When Leo saw how well Piper, Mia, and Hedge were being treated, he was thoroughly offended.

He'd imagined them freezing their hindquarters off in the snow, but the Hunter Phoebe had set up this silver tent pavilion thing right outside the cave. How she'd done it so fast, Leo had no idea, but inside was a kerosene heater keeping them toasty warm and a bunch of comfy throw pillows. Piper and Hermia looked back to normal, decked out in a new parka, gloves, and camo pants like a Hunter. The girls, Hedge and Phoebe were kicking back, drinking hot chocolate.

But Leo could tell Hermia was lost in her thoughts. She hadn't even bothered to look up when they walked into the tent. Jason on the other hand couldn't keep his eyes off Mia, like he knew what was running through her head.

"Oh, no way," Leo said. "We've been sitting in a cave and you get the luxury tent? Somebody give me hypothermia. I want hot chocolate and a parka!"

Phoebe sniffed. "Boys," she said, like it was the worst insult she could think of.

"It's all right, Phoebe," Thalia said. "They'll need extra coats. And I think we can spare some chocolate."

Phoebe grumbled, but soon Leo and Jason were also dressed in silvery winter clothes that were incredibly lightweight and warm. The hot chocolate was first-rate.

"Cheers!" said Coach Hedge. He crunched down his plastic thermos cup.

"That cannot be good for your intestines," Leo said.

Thalia patted Piper and Hermia on the back. "You two up for moving?"

Piper nodded. "Thanks to Phoebe, yeah. You guys are really good at this wilderness survival thing. I feel like I could run ten miles."

Hermia nodded as well with a small smile. "I'm good, thank you." Mia still looked to be lost in her thoughts, but she managed to stay up to there conversation.

Thalia winked at Jason. "They’re tough for a child of Aphrodite and a child of Poseidon. I like them."

Jason sent his sister a small smile before glancing at Mia again. This time she met his gaze, but not a moment later she was back to watching the floor.

"Hey, I could run ten miles too," Leo volunteered after looking away from Jason and Hermia. "Tough Hephaestus kid here. Let's hit it."

Naturally, Thalia ignored him.

It took Phoebe exactly six seconds to break camp, which Leo could not believe. The tent self-collapsed into a square the size of a pack of chewing gum. Leo wanted to ask her for the blueprints, but they didn't have time.

Thalia ran uphill through the snow, hugging a tiny little path on the side of the mountain, and soon Leo was regretting trying to look macho, because the Hunters left him in the dust.