•| ⊱ SEVENTEEN

[ chapter seventeen: jason ]

° • ° • °

In two seconds Piper was snoring and Mia was curled up in a ball with on hand placed above Jason's knee. Jason looked up at Leo, who was obviously trying not to laugh at Piper's little snors.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, drinking lemonade Leo had made from canteen water and powdered mix. "Good, huh?" Leo grinned.

"You should start a stand," Jason said. "Make some serious coin." But as he stared at the embers of the fire, something began to bother him. "Leo... about this fire stuff you can do... is it true?"

Leo's smile faltered. "Yeah, well ..." He opened his hand. A small ball of flame burst to life, dancing across his palm.

"That is so cool," Jason said. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Leo closed his hand and the fire went out. "Didn't want to look like a freak."

"Hermia would have understood you the most because she's able to burst fire out of her hands with one spell." Jason said as Leo sent him a smile.

"What?"

"Nothing," Leo said while looking down to the fire. "I just think that even when she's asleep you can't mange to stop thinking about her."

"What are you talking about? I was just trying to make you feel better because I remembered she showed me her powers. What does that have to do with me always thinking about her."

"Look I know your relationship with her was just a trick of the mist on our end, but I think you two are slowly starting to come back to each other." Leo said while looking back at Jason.

Jason shook his head while casting a glance to the sleeping girl in his lap. He looked up while saying, "Leo, ever since Mia woke up on that bus she's told us she has a boyfriend. Not me, but someone else."

"Okay, but does that stop you guys from giving each other lovey dovey eyes, no."

Jason rolled his eyes because he didn't want to believe there was something happening between Mia and him. It's not possible, not when she kept bringing up her boyfriend evey chance she got. "We don't do that, we just care about what the other person is thinking."

"Mm, sure. Keep telling yourself that."

"Look the point is, I have lightning and wind powers," Jason reminded him. "Piper can turn beautiful and charm people into giving her BMWs. Hermia also has magic powers that help her control the weather and not to mention she has water powers. You're no more a freak than we are. And, hey, maybe you can fly, too. Like jump off a building and yell, 'Flame on!'"

Leo snorted. "If I did that, you would see a flaming kid falling to his death, and I would be yelling something a little stronger than 'Flame on!' Trust me, Hephaestus cabin doesn't see fire powers as cool. Nyssa told me they're super rare. When a demigod like me comes around, bad things happen. Really bad."