•| ⊱ FOURTEEN

[ chapter fourteen: hermia ]

° • ° • °

Mia didn't like how long it took for Boreas to consider his daughter's words. Mia let her fingers hang loosely by her side and got ready to chant a spell. If things went wrong, she'd have to move fast.

Mia watched as Boreas's eyes fixed on Jason. As Hermia turned to look at the blonde she could see he had his hand in his pocket. Hermia knew he had been thinking the same thing as her because she knew his golden coin was in his pocket. "What is that on your forearm, demigod?"

Mia hadn't realized Jason's coat sleeve had gotten pushed up, revealing the edge of his tattoo. With once glace Mia pulled her jacket closer to her neck so no one would see her witch runes. Mia could tell Jason didn't want to show Boreas his marks, but he reluctantly did.

The god's eyes widened. Khione actually hissed and stepped away. Hemia was officially convinced these gods were crazy.

Then Boreas did something unexpected. He laughed so loudly, an icicle cracked from the ceiling and crashed next to his throne. The god's form began to flicker. His beard disappeared. He grew taller and thinner, and his clothes changed into a toga, lined with purple. His head was crowned with a frosty laurel wreath, and a gladius sword hung at his side.

"Aquilon," Jason said as Mia watched in confusion.

The god inclined his head. "You recognize me better in this form, yes? And yet you said you came from Camp Half-Blood?"

Mia honestly had no idea what was happening. Jason shifted his feet. "Uh...yes, Your Majesty."

"And Hera sent you there..." The winter god's eyes were full of mirth. "I understand now. Oh, she plays a dangerous game. Bold, but dangerous! No wonder Olympus is closed. They must be trembling at the gamble she has taken."

"Jason," Mia said nervously, but she couldn't find the right words to say anything else. His electric blue eyes watched her before he turned to look at Piper.

Piper decided to speak up for Mia. "Why did Boreas change shape? The toga, the wreath. What's going on?"

"It's his Roman form," Jason said while casting another look to Mia. He could tell all this new information was getting the best of her. But sadly he couldn't take the time to help her. "But what's going on-I don't know."

The god laughed. "No, I'm sure you don't. This should be very interesting to watch."

"Does that mean you'll let us go?" Piper asked.

"Oh please let us go." Mia mumbled. She was dying to leave this frozen hell hole. Hermia desperately wanted to be back in her own time with the people she loved. But sadly she was stuck here, talking to a God who wanted to kill them.