•| ⊱ FORTY-ONE

[ chapter forty-one: hermia ]

° • ° • °

After their previous conversation Jason decided to tell Mia what he thought about his dreams. They were sitting back on the bench as Jason spun his basketball. "It's not good news," he warned. "My memories aren't good for-for any of us."

Hermia was pretty sure he'd been about to say for us-as in the two of them, and she wondered if he'd remembered a girl from his past. But she didn't let it bother her. She couldn't, not when Mia had a boy in her past as well. The only difference was that Mia's past boyfriend was gone and Jason's past friend or girlfriend was not.

"We'll figure it out eventually," she promised.

He looked at her hesitantly, like he wanted very much to believe her. "Annabeth, Rachel, and Helena are coming in for the meeting tonight. I should probably wait until then to explain..."

Mia understood why he wanted to wait. If Hermia were to have any news that wasn't good she'd want to tell everyone in a group, not just one person. "That's fine." She played with her hands and suddenly wished she had her necklace to hold onto. She knew there were dangerous things in store for both of them. She would have to compete with Jason's past, and they might not even survive their war against the giants. But right now, they were both alive, and she was determined to enjoy this moment. But still, she couldn't bring herself to be truly happy, not when she didn't have her boys and Stefan.

Jason studied her warily. His forearm tattoo was faint blue in the sunlight. "You seem to be in a better mood. How can you be so sure things will work out?"

Mia turned to look at him. "Because after everything I've lost, I have to believe that something good will come out of all this. Everything might seem dark right now, but it won't be like that forever. Like my mom once said, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Besides you're going to lead us," she said simply. "And I'd follow you anywhere."

Jason blinked. Then slowly, he smiled. "That's a dangerous thing to say, Red."

Hermia smirked. "Well, Jason Grace I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm a pretty dangerous girl."

He chuckled quietly. "That, I believe."

A blush made it's way onto Mia's face but she quickly hid her face behind her hair. Then Hermia watched as Jason got up and brushed off his shorts. After a moment he offered her his hand. "Leo says he's got something to show us out in the woods. You coming?"

Mia smiled as she stood up and took his hand. "Hell yeah."

For a moment, they didn't move, they just kept holding hands. Jason tilted his head as Mia removed her hand from his. "We should get going."

"Yeah," she cleared her throat. "Let's go."

° • ° • °

Once they mad it to the limestone cliff in the woods, Mia stayed close to Piper. She might have had a good and friendly conversation with Jason, but she honestly thought it'd be better if they weren't standing so close to each other. If Hermia wanted to move on peacefully from Lysander than she needed all the space she could get. Even if it hurt like hell, Mia would have to let go of Lysander if she wanted to start something with Jason.