•| ⊱ TWENTY

[ chapter twenty: hermia ]

° • ° • °

In that moment Hermia couldn't help but think back to a time when life was simpler. Mia never had to worry about fighting anything. Back in 1862 she was learning magic, yes, but she never thought she would have to use it, not like this.

A spell like 'Dimiterre' was a very simple spell. Mia's own brother had taught her that one. He showed it to her back when he was teaching her how to fight. But back then Demetrius had used it to throw Mia down, just so he could get the upper hand.

Now it was pretty much the same thing. Hermia had used the spell to throw Medea down, but the difference was that Mia's brother couldn't be here to see her use it. Demetrius had always said Mia would grow up to be an amazing and strong witch, but Mia never thought her brother would miss her growth.

With each passing day Mia feels like she's losing the memory of her brother and worst of all Lysander. The memory she had seen earlier had only made things worse for her. She had hope, yes. Hope of seeing them again, but there was still that dark feeling in her chest that told her they could also be dead. Gaea was probably using that memory to her advantage because she wanted to continue to use Mia. But without proof, Mia had to believe she was doing the right thing.

And that thing was to continue to work for Gaea. Proof or not, she will be seeing her boys again. Even if that meant she had to die to see them again.

"You've doomed us all!" Medea scream cut through Hermia's thoughts.

Smoke was rolling across the carpet as the stain spread, throwing sparks and setting fires in the clothing racks. "You have only seconds before this concoction consumes everything and destroys the building. There's no time-"

Suddenly there was a big crash. The stained glass ceiling splintered in a rain of multicolored shards, and Festus the bronze dragon dropped into the department store.

Hermia had never felt more relief to see Happy the Dragon. He hurtled into the fray, snatching up a sun dragon in each claw.

"That's my boy!" Leo yelled.

Festus flew halfway up the atrium, then hurled the sun dragons into the pits they'd come from. Leo raced to the fountain and pressed the marble tile, closing the sundials. They shuddered as the dragons banged against them, trying to get out, but for the moment they were contained.

Medea cursed in some ancient language. The whole fourth floor was on fire now. The air filled with noxious gas. Even with the roof open, Mia could feel the heat intensifying. She and Piper backed up to the edge of the railing, Mia keeping her hand pointed toward Medea while Piper pointed her dagger.