•| ⊱ THIRTY-FIVE

[ chapter thirty-five: hermia ]

° • ° • °

Hermia didn't plan to feel embarrassed for having a breakdown. She knew her friends understood the reason why she cried. For so long she had been the strong one, it's only normal for someone to cry when things get too rough. After all Mia was only human. Not completely of course, but still. After finally being able to calm down, Hermia pulled away from Jason and said, "Thank you."

He sent a smile back to her. "You're welcome." There little moment was suddenly interrupted because right next to Jason, the air began to shimmer. At first Mia thought it was heat off the tarmac, or maybe gas fumes from the helicopter, but she'd seen something like this before in Medea's fountain. Back when she had her first seen Lysander. Mia suddenly felt an overwhelming ache appear in her chest. She never thought in a million years that thinking about Lysander would cause her pain. But she just couldn't stop thinking about his wedding ring.

Pushing the thoughts away, Hermia recognize it was an Iris message. An image appeared in the air-a dark-haired girl in silver winter camouflage, holding a bow.

Jason stumbled back in surprise. Mia quickly wiped her face as she watched Jason's sister. "Thalia!"

"Thank the gods," said the Hunter. The scene behind her was hard to make out, but Mia heard yelling, metal clashing on metal, and explosions.

"We've found her," Thalia said. "Where are you?"

"Oakland," he said. "Where are you?"

"The Wolf House! Oakland is good; you're not too far. We're holding off the giant's minions, but we can't hold them forever. Get here before sunset, or it's all over."

"Then it's not too late?" Piper cried as she and Mia shared a glanced. Hermia could tell Piper had hope. Mia would be lying if she said she didn't feel a surge of hope as well. But Thalia's expression quickly dampened it.

"Not yet," Thalia said. "But Jason-it's worse than I realized. Porphyrion is rising. Hurry."

"But where is the Wolf House?" he pleaded.

"Our last trip," Thalia said, her image starting to flicker. "The park. Jack London. Remember?"

This made no sense to Hermia, but Jason looked like he'd been shot. He tottered, his face pale, and the Iris message disappeared. Mia was able to reach over and support his weight. He smiled in thanks, but he still looked a little shaken up.

"Are you okay, Superman?" Mia asked as he nodded weakly.

"You know where she is?" Leo asked as he glanced between Hermia and Jason. Hermia still hadn't moved Jason away from her side. She wasn't planning on letting him go when he seemed this effected by the news. He had also just been there for her, it was only right for her to returned the favor.