𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

[ 𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑  𝐍 𝐈 𝐍 𝐄 𝐓 𝐄 𝐄 𝐍 ]

𝓷𝓮𝔀 𝔂𝓮𝓪𝓻 𝓵𝓮𝓰𝓮𝓷𝓭𝓼

WINNIE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND how people always swarmed to Sirius in awe when Remus was right there.

Sure, Sirius was tall and handsome. And yes, maybe he had that mysterious, rich boy persona about him. Perhaps his natural arrogance passed as confidence in the eyes of entranced men and women. But still, Winnie didn't understand.

Remus was something else entirely.

In the crystal and magical lit ballroom, his brown hair burnt like a warm flame, casting long shadows across his face, accentuating his features. The formal robes, albeit a little large, made him look tall and dashing, and even next to Sirius, Winnie thought he looked positively charming.

She looked down at her own attire, taking in the simple but elegant red dress she wore. It was a gorgeous dress, one she knew Everett would have liked.

Had he shown up, that is.

Winnie had been looking forward to him attending the yearly Potter New Years celebration since she'd left the school, daydreams of getting to waltz around the gorgeous ballroom fluttering in her head. But the night prior, he'd sent an owl saying that his family had been invited last minute to a different party and that it was from an old family friend, so they couldn't decline.

Winnie would be lying if she said she wasn't a little upset.

After that, she hadn't even been sure she wanted to go anymore. She knew her mother wouldn't make her if she really didn't want to, and it's not like James and Sirius could force her.

The only reason she came was because Lily had admitted to not wanting to be without friends during the ball.

"I can't be alone! I'm a Muggleborn, I don't know any of these families. I won't know any or the etiquette or anything!" Lily had stared at her with wide pleading eyes, her hands clasped in front of her chest.

"You won't be alone," she had pointed out in response, still intent on moping. "You'll have Marlene and James and Sirius and the others."

"You know I wouldn't want to spend my night around your brother and his friends. Besides, Marlene's going to be spending all her time dancing. Please, Winnie. I know you wanted Ev to come, but do it for me."

Lily looked upset enough about it that Winnie had given in with a dramatic sigh.

"Fine, but I'm not dancing."

Lily had agreed to her terms and soon the two girls found themselves in the midst of a full blown celebration. However, Lily had somehow slipped away, leaving Winnie lost in the sea of robes and wizards, desperately trying to shove her way through the throng of people to get to where Remus and Sirius stood.

"Winnie!" Sirius exclaimed once she made it, taking her hand and giving her a twirl. "Lookin' sharp!"

"Cheers," she replied, bumping their hips. "You both look nice."

Remus, who had been staring at her the entire time, flushed brightly at the compliment. He coughed and cleared his throat.

"Where's Everett?" Remus asked, lifting his head and looking out over the crowd. Being a good head taller than most came in handy in events like these.

Winnie's face clouded. "He couldn't make it." Both boys frowned at that.

"Dance with me," Sirius said suddenly, holding out his hand to Winnie. "Come on."