𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

[ 𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑  𝐓 𝐖 𝐄 𝐍 𝐓 𝐘  𝐅 𝐎 𝐔 𝐑 ]

𝓯𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰

CW and disclaimer: Some of the events in this chapter include non graphic, non extreme abusive behavior. It also covers events that happened in canon. However, said canon events have been changed from what actually happened to fit the plot of this story (you'll see what I mean once you get there)

"REMUS'S WORDS ECHOED in Winnie's mind for most of the day.

I wouldn't let you fall.

It wasn't just the words, he'd said those words thousands of times before Quidditch games and practices. Said them to her, Sirius, and James.

They echoed because she knew they were true. The words were truer than the words she'd been hearing from everyone else.

Everything in her very being trusted Remus. She knew that being with him, as a friend or as something, was like flying.

But being with Everett felt like she was on a broom in a downward decent, the ground rapidly approaching. She wasn't quite sure yet if she'd hit the bottom or if she'd pull up in time.

And she wasn't sure if she wanted to find out.

She loved Everett, but she wasn't sure if she was willing to sacrifice herself for that love. The past week had been fight after fight after fight and she was tired of always arguing. She was tired of his attitude and the way that being with him changed hers as well.

She missed being able to spend time with her boys and eat or breathe or exist without fear of his judgement. She missed not being with him.

She came to this realization in the middle of the night, on one of her many sleepless nights. Winnie had to break up with Everett. She thought of how his anger would flare, hot like a fire, and sizzle behind his eyes the way she'd seen it happen tens of times before and felt her heart clench with dread.

The rest of the night was spent tossing in turning, running the conversations over and over in her head, turning over every possibility. She was half tempted to sneak into James's dorm just for his comforting presence, but convinced herself to stay.

When morning came, she rose with the sun and immediately went to seek out the Ravenclaw.

When she saw him sitting with his friends at the table, her heart stilled before racing. She wrung her hands together and gestured for him to meet her outside. He cocked his head to the side in a silent question. Winnie shook her head and pointed again to the doors. She didn't wait to see if he'd follow right away, just spun on her heel and left.

"Winnie!" Everett yelled, jogging to catch up to her. "Hey, what's going on?"

"Hey Ev," she said. She started to lift her hand to tug on one of her curls but stopped short. He hated when she did that. "We need to talk."

Before he could say anything, Winnie continued talking. Everything she had rehearsed fell out of her mouth like water rushing out from a broken dam. She told him that she didn't feel like herself, that she loved him but that his love felt like poison. She told him that she felt trapped and that she wanted to be free. She told him that she didn't want their relationship.

Everett stood, taking it all in. His jaw was clenched, his eyes simmering. She knew he was mad, so she kept talking. Once she stopped, she knew he'd start yelling and it'd be yet another fight. So she kept talking.

She was tired of fighting.

But she couldn't talk for forever. When she stopped, there was a lapse in conversation where they stared at each other. She took in the familiar slant on his jaw, watched as his eyebrows bunched together as he worked his way through what happened.

And then faster than she could register, he moved.

She didn't feel his fist connect with her cheek, but she knew it did. She registered the pain moments after it had happened. But over the pain, it was a shock.

Everett didn't seem phased. His fist was still clenched as he yelled and screamed vicious, cruel things at her. He pulsed with anger that she didn't know he had. No, she knew it was there. She saw it after lost Quidditch matches, when he'd pace and kick the benches. She saw it when his temper would flare and he'd yell and yell and yell. She saw it, she just ignored it.

Winnie couldn't hear what he was saying. Could barely register the crowd gathering around them. She slowly brought a shaking hand to her cheekbone and stared in disbelief when she saw blood when she pulled it away.

Someone — Remus and Peter — had taken her, each at a shoulder and went to pull her back and away. She watched, as if from a distance, as Sirius and James jumped on Everett.

"I'll take you to med," Remus whispered in her ear. The words washed over her and she continued to stare blankly.

///

"I don't regret it, Minnie and I won't apologize," Sirius said. Him and James were seated in front of their head of house. They had been pulled off of Everett quickly and hadn't been able to see Winnie.

James bounced his wand restlessly. "He deserved it."

To their surprise, Minnie nodded.

"Everett is going to be facing severe consequences for his actions. We only need a statement of what happened from you two. Once you tell me everything you saw, you'll be free to see your sister."

The boys quickly started talking, explaining how they saw them when they were walking to breakfast. They'd turned the corner just in time to see him hit Winnie and they started running immediately.

McGonagall nodded solemnly and dismissed them.

When they got to the medbay, Sirius felt his heart lurch. Winnie was out cold on the bed, her hand limply in Remus's, Peter curled in the chair next to her.

Remus looked up. "She took a calming draught. Her cheek was healed but she was in shock."

James rushed up and pressed a kiss to her curls, stepping into brother mode. Sirius came by and gently brushed some of the hair from her face before standing up and leaving.

He was in a fighting mood.

Thinking about what happened sent bolts of anger through him. The Potters were good. These things weren't supposed to happen to them. Bad things were supposed to happen to Sirius.

Sirius angrily stalked through the halls, throwing harmless hexes and jinxes on plants, decor, and paintings. He needed to release steam.

He was about to round a corner when he heard Snape's jeering voice. He paused and waited, listened to what he was saying.

"—pathetic really. That girl probably had it coming. What, with that obnoxious attitude of hers and the way she always hung around that disgusting Lupin. I'm telling you, he's a werewolf. He shouldn't be here."

Sirius was moving before he knew it, his mouth moved on it's own accord.

He grabbed Snape by the front of his robes and slammed him into the wall. With his other hand, he casted a jinx at his friends, sending them off.

"Keep my friends out of your filthy mouth."

Snape spit in response. "Your friends are nothing but blood traitors and a disgusting, dangerous mutt."

Sirius pressed him harder into the bricks, bringing his mouth to Snape's ear.

"I'm not scared of you," Snape said.

"You want to see danger? Want to know fear? Go to the whomping willow tonight, press the knot at the base of the tree, and follow the tunnel through to the shrieking shack. Then you'll see. You'll see the truth."