𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

[ 𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑  𝐍 𝐈 𝐍 𝐄 ]

𝓼𝔀𝓮𝓹𝓽 𝓪𝔀𝓪𝔂

AS MID-OCTOBER NEARED, Winnie found herself being swept away into the current of never ending workload. With all NEWT Level classes, being quidditch captain, and tutoring in Transfiguration, Winnie hardly ever had time for her friends.

She missed the mischief of her boys, the late night studying and fun meals with the girls, the after practice team hangouts, and mid-day rendezvous with her other friends in passing. She woke up, ate in the libraries, studied, had classes, practice, tutoring, and slept.

In fact, the last time she'd seen any of her friends for a long period of time out of quidditch and the classrooms was when she, Lily, and Peter stayed up all night a week ago doing all of the astronomy homework they'd been putting off.

Every time she felt herself being pulled under the current, however, she just kicked harder and remembered what she was aiming for.

End of Fifth Year

"Potter, Elowen. Potter, Elowen. Professor McGonagall is ready for you." Winnie nodded her head and entered her head of house's office.

She smiled slightly at McGonagall and took a seat.

"Biscuit, Miss Potter?"

"No thank you, Professor." McGonagall leveled her with an analytical gaze for a moment before nodding and shifting through her files momentarily.

"Do you know what plans you have after leaving Hogwarts?"

That was the question that had been plaguing Winnie for the last few months. She'd seen the Daily Prophet clippings her parents tried to throw away before James and her could see. She'd heard Sirius whisper about his family's beliefs. She comforted Lily when she cried in fear for being Muggleborn.

She'd seen the terror creeping over the wizarding world like a slow smog, just as she'd seen minimal action being done to get rid of it.

So she lifted her chin in defiance and looked her teacher in the eyes and said with more confidence than she actually had, "Minister."

"I wish to be the Minister for Magic."

"Well—"

"I know it sounds foolish," Winnie pressed, interrupting McGonagall. "But I have to do something, I have to. Lily is Muggleborn, and Remus is a halfblood, and we're all blood traitors with targets on our heads and no ones doing anything. They say it's only a small issue but it isn't. I can feel it. It's going to be something bigger and I need to be bigger if I want to have any shot at making things better. If not for my generation, then for the next. And the next after them."

She expected Minerva to object, tell her to pick a more reasonable job. But instead, she saw pride in her eyes. Wordlessly, she pulled out a small pile of documents and slid it forward.

"If you had let me continue, you'd know I was going to say that I knew one of you Potters would go and make my job difficult. Good thing I was prepared." Winnie was shocked, but it soon faded into elation and gratitude. "I wasn't sure if difficult was going to be in the form of mischief or not, but I came prepared for all possibilities."

McGonagall then went over all the classes she'd need, the list of succession, as well as advice on careers to start in before becoming the minister.

Before she left, Elowen paused at the door. "Can you not tell James? Please?" This was something she needed to do on her own.

"Of course, Miss Potter."