thirty three | new coke

TW! - BLOOD AND SLIGHT GORE

°°°

Blood.

It was everywhere as Nancy applied the gauze to El's wound. Clara stared at the wound, the dark red that oozed from it.

She turned her gaze away.

"Keep pressure, stop the bleeding, and then clean it," Max ordered, glancing towards her friend who had her face turned upwards away from the scene.

They'd broken into a grocery store, after Nancy had basically spun out the car and then threw a rock through the glass door. Lovely she had thought.

"I need water and soap," Max said to Nancy and Jonathan. They each nodded, hurrying in the other direction quickly to grab it.

Clara was distracting herself, not from a panic attack like she had earlier but because she didn't like gore. She didn't like staring at the wound.

She turned when she heard clattering against the linoleum. Lucas shook his backpack, several singular candies dropping to the ground.

"Does any of this help?"

The fiery red head stared at him in disbelief. "No."

She turned her hidden amusement to Clara. "I need a bowl and a washcloth."

"A bowl?" Lucas asked, questioned Max's reasoning.

The glare she shot back had him grabbing both Will and Clara's arm and steering them in another aisle.

She was grateful Max had recognized her discomfort and gave her something else to do.

"Bowl.. bowl.. bowl."

Clara huffed a sigh.

"Why wouldn't it be with the cereal? What else do you she a bowl for?"

"Ice cream, soup, pasta-"

Lucas rolled his eyes, "smartass."

Clara snorted in amusement. Only Lucas.

"Maybe by the paper plates and plastic cutlery?" she offered with a shrug. Will muttered his agreement from beside her.

They reached the end of the aisle. Lucas immediately went agape, staring at the fireworks display.

"Satan's baby!" he exclaimed, stepping forward and grabbing the bomb looking firework.