twenty eight | you're okay

°

°

While Max and El had went to El's for a sleepover, Clara had opted on going home. She promised that if El and Max stopped at her house in the morning, she'd hang out with them then, but for now she decided she needed to go home.

The front door creaked open, with Clara entering and tucking a stray strand of hair behind her face. It was about dusk, so they had already eaten dinner without her.

"Hi, mom!" Clara shouted up the stairs, assuming her mother was putting down Holly.

"Dinners in the microwave!" Karen shouted back, from what Clara assumed was Holly's room which was the bedroom closest to the staircase.

With a sigh, the girl padded into the kitchen only to bump into Mike, you had a hand full of snacks.

"Shit," Clara swore, rubbing a palm over her head. "You scared me."

Mike ignored her, setting the snacks on to the counter and whipping back around with a purpose. "Why did you let El go to the mall?"

His voice was firm and hard, and Clara scoffed. "She isn't your property, Mike."

"But you put her in danger, Clara!" he shouted, throwing his hands in the air. "You don't understand!"

Clara stumbled back, narrowing her eyes. "El has powers! Anyone who wants to hurt her she could probably berid of on her own! Mike, she'll lose it in that god damn cabin all her life, it's not healthy and her health isn't in your hands, it's in her own. She wanted to be there, so we hung out with her!"

Mike, agape, rolled his eyes. "You're being an idiot, and apparently Max is charming you into being a bitch, too."

"Y'know what," Clara began, pointing at Mike's chest. "You are the idiot, Mike. I get you love her, but that doesn't mean you get to decide for her."

She tried to hold it together, as her brother essentially just called her a bitch. She wasn't necessarily sensitive, but there were certain things that set her off and apparently this was one of them.

Her eyes watered slightly as she made her way towards the staircase, scuffing her feet on the hardwood flooring.

"Clara?" a voice said, the girl shooting her gaze up to meet Will's, who stood
at the top of the staircase.

"Oh," she wiped her dampened cheeks, smiling softly. "Sorry-"

"What happened?" he asked suddenly, taking multiple steps forward until they were face to face. "I heard yelling."