two | the disappearing act

°

°

A sweater tucked into flowy blue jeans adorned Clara Wheelers body. Dark hair was in a simple braid down her back done by none other than Nancy herself.

Her mother, always so potent, insisted she wear something warm as the chilly November air was wafting in.

"That is disgusting, Mike!" Nancy wrinkled her nose, her younger brother pouring a heavy amount of syrup onto his scrambled eggs.

"God, Mike," Clara hissed, slapping his arm. He didn't bother in hitting her back, just stuck his middle finger up and waggled it in front of her face.

"Michael! Clara! Enough," their mother scolded, their baby sister in one arm as she held the phone to her chest.

"Hello?"

A distant mumbling in the background piked Clara's interest, but before she could listen into her mother's conversation a sloshing was heard as Mike poured his orange juice all over Nancy and Clara's plates.

"What the hell Mike!"

"God damnit Mike!"

Both sisters cursing caused Ted to sigh, setting his newspaper down and scolding them.

"Quiet!" Karen turned again, her strict voice shutting them all up.

"No, Will left last night."

Clara and Mike shared a look. Yes, Will had left last night but why was- assumedly Joyce Byers, questioning it?

Soon, their mom hang up the phone and breakfast went on as usual with Clara getting a fresh plate of eggs.

The meal went by quickly, and in no time Clara had her bag slung over her shoulder and her bike strolled out of the garage.

"Was- was Joyce calling about Will?" Clara asked timidly as her and her brother emerged from the garage and began peddling to the intersection where they would meet the others.

"Why do you care," Mike began, lips
perking into a teasing smile, " because you loveee him?"

Clara took a hand from her handlebar, slapping her brothers knee.

"No, Michael. I don't like Will like that, but he is my friend unlike your other dipshit friends," Clara was annoyed, obviously.

Ever since her brother caught Clara and Will walking down the hall, laughing together he'd teased each of them.

"Hey, Mike!" Dustin shouted, him and Lucas peddling from their street to meet the siblings on the road that leads to Hawkins Middle.