thirty five | the finale

°°

°°

It was no secret that the two party members whom had the most say and effort towards the group were Mike and Eleven. Clara knew this, they all knew it.

Joyce was squeezing Will tightly, Nancy and Jonathan were listening to Murray explain each of his keys on his keyset, Lucas and Max were playfully shoving eachother, El and Hopper were sitting hand in hand, and the twins were sat on a bench next to the pile of shattered glass.

"I'm worried about her," Mike admitted, staring with a worries grimace towards El. Clara pulled a knee to her chest.

"I know. We all know. We all are," she muttered while toying with the lace of her shoe.

The main food court of the mall featured all of their echoing voices, yet the Wheeler twins were amongst the quiet for a few moments.

"He makes you happy."

Clara knitted her brows together. "What?"

"Will," Mike gestured. "I'm not trying to, like- play protective older brother or anything. I'm just happy that you found your own source of happiness."

She let out a laugh, leaning into her brother slightly. "He does, he is. Just like El is for you."

They stayed like this, before they heard El calling out for him. Mike quickly stood, him and Max helping Eleven on to her feet.

"Mike!"

He turned, as well as El, to Hopper whom had called out to him.

Hopper coughed. "Be careful."

Mike shifted uncomfortably, taken aback by the chiefs words. "We will."

El gave her father figure a final parting smile before gripping Mike's shoulder, limping away towards the front doors of Starcourt Mall.

Clara snuck up behind Will who walked beside his brother, snaking her hand in his own and swinging their connected arms.

He jumped slightly, turning to look at her before letting out a small smile. "You scared me."

She grinned. "Maybe you should keep your guard up a bit more."

"Good idea," he snorted humorfully, looking back ahead towards Nancy who opened the door to let them all into the car.

Will went first into the back seat, Clara following as Max and Lucas squeezed in beside her. The Wheeler had one leg swung over Will's, their shoulders squished together.