thirty six | one last time

°°°

°°°

Loss. So much loss.

While she hadn't taken the brunt of it, her best friends did. And that hurt Clara Wheeler more than anything.

Clara scuffed her feet against the gravel drive of the Byers house, running her fingers along the metal of the U-Haul truck.

She took her shoes off in the entry way, hearing the sound of.. singing. Bad singing. That could only be Lucas's, because he'd always been terrible at it.

"The mirror of your dreeeeeams!"

Clara leaned against the narrow entryway to the living room, staring in amusement at the couple who were obviously making fun of Dustin.

"Unfold behind the cloudsss!"

"Wait-" Max stopped. "Did we get that verse right? It's unfold behind the clouds?"

"Yeah," Dustin deadpanned. "It is. But you're butchering it, so stop."

"I think it's beautiful," Clara announced herself, smiling in amusement.

"Not you, Lucas. Your lovely girlfriend has a beautiful voice, though," Clara winked, laughing along with Max who saluted her.

Clara shook her head as she heard the mockery singing continue, making her way towards Will's bedroom.

She passed by El and Mike, and smiled. They deserved better, those two. Especially El, after losing Hopper she needed a source of happiness again.

"Hey," she whispered, kneading her hands together in front of her stomach. Will was sitting on a box, toying with a Dungeons and Dragons box in hand.

"Hi," he smiled slightly, standing and walking towards her.

"I don't-" she sighed. "Im nervous and I'm not sure what to even say."

He shrugged. "Me too."

Clara let out a breathy laugh, walking forward until she dug her face into the flesh of his chest. "Gonna miss you."

He squeezed his eyes shut tight, kissing her temple. "Im gonna miss you too, Clara."

"You better," she laughed, swaying slightly. "Better not go kissing any other girls."

"I would never."

Clara raised a brow. "Will, I was kidding. But that's reassuring to know you'll at least break up with me first."