seventeen | dart the evil

°"Will?"

°
"Will?"

He seemed almost startled, closing his locker quickly and turning to a worried Clara Wheeler.

"I know you probably are getting asked this a lot lately, but are you.. okay?"

Her soft and worried, yet also calm, expression lulled him to relax his tense shoulders as he turned to face her

"I-" he paused in concentration, looking away from the Wheeler.

"There's something wrong."

Clara opened her mouth to speak, only to be cut off.

"With d'Artangan."

Clara furrowed a brow, "like, what..?"

"I think- I think something is bad about Dart. I saw something like him, in the Upside Down," Will whispered, rubbing a hand over his left arm.

She didn't speak. Only grabbed his hand, pulling him in a hurry towards Mr. Clarks classroom.

"Guys!"

Each of the boys and Mr. Clarke turned with a startle to the small girl, confusion settling in.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Clarke. I- it was a dumb joke. Listen, we've gotta go!" Clara gestured, not noticing how she still held Will's hand, and how each of the two held on just as tight as the other.

None of the boys, or Max, listened. All just looked at her like she was crazy.

"Now!"

They all scurried after Clara, who let go of Will's hand and turned to Mike.

"It's about the Upside Down," she muttered under her breath, and he nodded and turned to Max.

Sure, she could be a bitch. But Clara did genuinely like Max, and realized that eventually they'd have to tell her about the specifics of last year.

Today was not that day.

"Listen, Max," Clara spoke kindly, and Mike didn't bother with kindness when he cut his twin off.

"Stay here, don't come in. This is a party thing."

Clara reached over and slapped her brother across the shoulder, glaring.

"Listen, Max. This is really- personal, for us. I'll tell you about it when I'm-" she pursed her lips, voice almost in a question, "ready?"