The Children

"So..." Hawks starts "You and Dabi were close as kids?" His question is directed at you but he is staring at your mom.

"Yeah, I guess that's what you could say. Mom runs an orphanage for children that need a place. Dabi stayed there for a short time but I was the only one he ever really talked to."

Hawks face twitches at the mention of the orphanage. But his smile quickly returned. "So you run an orphanage?" He asked in between bites.

"Yes." Mother replied. "It's for children whose parents couldn't handle their quirks or for those who accidentally..." she pauses, trying to think of a way to word it.

"Killed them." I finished for her.

The table grew silent. And stayed that way till everyone had finished their meals. I cleared the plates trying to get away from the awkwardness I had created. By the time I had gotten back Hawks was just finishing up his tale.

"And that's how I found where she was." He stated matter of factly.

"Very well done sir. Not many people would think to do so much research." Hawks chest puffs up as she compliments him. Great, she's boosting his ego now too.

"Striving to be the best hero I can be ma'am." He says smiling.

Mother stands up and brushes herself off and I stand next to her. Hawks stands up to join us.

"My daughter would be honored to work with you." She states.

"Woah, woah, woah. What? No way I am working for him." You look him up and down but your mom smacks you on the back of the head. "Ow." She turns to face you.

"You have disgraced this family by dishonoring a tradition passed down by generations. Your punishment has been decided. You will fight. If you win y/n, then you will stay here till you have earned your freedom again. If you lose, then your life falls into the hands of Keigo Takami. You understand what this means." It wasn't a question. You knew exactly what she meant.

"But the punishment does not-" You try to retort but she cuts you off.

"The law has been put forth. Do you understand that the actions you have taken have led to the consequences you face today?"

"Yes, M'lady. I understand and I will face the consequences of my actions without hesitation. Thank you." You bow to her, knowing that there is no freedom in your future.

"So when do we fight?" Hawks asks, a little too excited.