Newbie

"KELLLLLLY!" You shout. The girl pops up from nowhere, mascara running down her face. You put a hand on her shoulder "Go clean yourself up. The stupid asshole is gone but I need you to set up a new desk." You give her a soft smile, she nods and walks back towards the bathroom.

You poke your head back into the conference room. "Hey newbie, time to meet your new boss."

He grabs his bag and rushes over to you. His foot hits the side of a chair causing him to fall face first into the ground. You aren't fast enough to catch him but you're close enough to help him up. He takes your extended hand to stand, then brushes himself off.

"Don't be so nervous, kid. Nobody here is going to hurt you. If they do it was probably for a good reason." You smile at the boy as you walk him into Hawk's office. Once through the door he grips his bag a little tighter.

Hawks is standing on the balcony outside on the phone, probably getting scolded for your hospitality skills. You knock on the glass to get his attention. He turns holding a finger up, signaling to give him a minute.

Annoyed, you take a seat right on top of his desk and wave at the kid come over and sit on one of the chairs in front of the desk. Holding back the urge to go hang up your boss's phone call for him you sit and wait. Being bored, you start to fiddle with the things next to you. You take a few pens and one by one throw them at the glass. After two or three Hawks finally notices and gets the hint.

He comes back in to scold you for being annoying but stops when he sees a new face. He looks towards you for an explanation.

"Commissions orders I guess. He was hand delivered by my new best friend. Another babysitter for the Assassin turned hero." The boy flinches at the word assassin. Hawks walk up to him and he cowers away even though he is probably much bigger than the hero.

"A little jumpy, isn't he?" Hawks comments.

"Considering who he can be with and the fact that he is an American. I can't imagine what they put him through, 'training' wise." You respond.

"Too much if you ask me. We'll have to toughen him up."

"I'm sure that is exactly what he wants while he's here, to be traumatized by a giant bird." Before Hawks can respond you cut him by turning to your subject matter. In English you say, "You don't speak very good Japanese do you?" The boy shakes his head yes. "That's fine we'll have someone help you with that. This is Hawks." You motion to your boss. "Sadly he's the one incharge of this place. I am Y/n, but you knew that. Do you have your file or do I get the pleasure of interrogating you?"

He rummages through his bag and hands you a file folder. It has all of the basic info like his name and birthday. You hand the folder to Hawks so that he can look over it.

"So your name is Blake Anderson. Born in Pittsburgh. Sent to the American Quirk center at the age of 6 after your quirk went haywire. Pretty normal stuff kid. Welcome to the team I guess. I'll get Kelly to show you around and," you pause and turn to Hawks. He feels your eyes and looks up from the file. In Japanese you ask, "Kelly knows English, right?" He just shrugs his shoulders before going back to looking over the file. You turn back to Anderson.

"Ok kid, Kelly is going to show you around the office and if she knows english she's going to help teach you so you can actually learn some proper Japanese. Make sense?"

"Yes Ma'am." He says straightening.

"Don't call me ma'am. It makes me feel old, and American." You smile at him and he releases some of the tension in his back. You press the magic button on the phone that summons Kelly. She comes rushing in at her normal speed, stopping in front of Hawks.

"Good morning sir. You buzzed?" She asks, more chipper than she was earlier.

"Oh yeah." Hawks says looking up from the file once again. He gives you a look as if he were saying 'I don't what she wants.' You smile and take over for him.

"You got the new desk ready?" You ask her. She turns to you.

"Oh yes yes yes yes. I put it right next to mine. Are we getting a new employee? Is it that shy kid that was with the flame hero earlier. OH! He's sitting right there. And I'm guessing Hawks is reading his file, that's why he doesn't know what's happening." You put your hands on her shoulders.

"Yes Kelly. Now bring the energy down. I don't want you scaring away Anderson." She looks between the two of you a few times before nodding. "So if you could show him around and maybe help him get better at Japanese or find someone who could."

"Oh yeah, I'll get on that right now. Right away." She gives you a small salute before dragging Anderson away by the wrist.

Once they are out of the room you turn to your boss. He's looking at you.

"You understand it then?" He asks, voice laced with concern.

"I see why they sent him to us. That poor kid is a ticking time bomb and he doesn't even know it."

"Well I guess we'll just have to find a way to stop the clock from reaching 0." He responds with a smirk.

"One day you're going to realize that you can't save everyone."

"But I can try. That's what being a hero means." He states winking.

Words: 989