The Price

"Now." My mother replied. The doors open to the gardens as I follow her. She gestures towards Hawks. He follows. We silently walk through the gardens in the direction of the dojo.

The large doors loom over us as we make our way through them. I remove my shoes and place them next to the door on the shoe rack. I go to the middle of the floor and sit down with my legs crossed. I feel Hawks eyes on me as I sit. I turn to look at him. He is standing with his arms crossed by the door. He looks uncomfortable and awkward. He must be thinking about what mother said. If he wins, my life is his. I cannot lose. I close my eyes and start to meditate.

Hawks POV

'If you win y/n then you will stay here till you have earned your freedom again.' When she said that y/n's eyes got wide. Only for a split second could you see the abject terror in her face. Earned her freedom again? What did it mean? Why again. I need answers. And I have to win to get them. I will not lose.

"You don't mind if she uses knives do you?" I turn towards the voice and see the matriarch standing next to me with a pleasant smile on her face. How did she get there without me noticing.

"No, I don't mind her using knives." I responded.

"Good, because you must draw blood and I know that your feathers can penetrate skin." I look at her and nod. She reaches her hand out to my shoulder and then I black out

Y/n's POV

A loud THUMP breaks you out of your meditation. You open your eyes to look and see Hawks face first on the floor. Mother must have used her quirk on him. Poor guy isn't use to it so he's gonna have a wicked headache when he wakes up. You stand as she makes her way over to you. Without words you wrap your arms around her in a moment of weakness.

"Thank you mother." You say. "Thank you for taking me in, training me and showing me what it's like having a family. Thank you for showing me love." You start to tremble but her hands gently rub your back. "I know how it will end for me and I accept the fate the gods have chosen for me. My actions were my own. I will not bring the clan down with me. I am truly sorry mother, I failed you." You tighten your embrace because you know it is the last time you will see her. You pull back from her and see silent tears rolling down her face.

"Use your strengths. I always thought of you as my own." She puts a hand on your face, wiping away the tear you didn't know had fallen. "It is I who has failed you child." She places her forehead on yours as you close your eyes. You are thrown into emptiness.