Chapter 16

I decided to go to the nearest store to find a gown. I was too tired to choose a dress, so I asked the one in charge for help.

“How can I help you, miss?”

“I need a gown.” I said with desperation in my voice. I was really tired. I shouldn’t have said yes to Mico. I don’t think I can even face him.

“For what occasion?” the girl asked.

“It’s for an engagement party.” I answered.

She began to pull out different gowns from the rack. The gowns look wonderful, but I think it’s inappropriate. “Isn’t that too much for an engagement party?”

“Don’t you want to look the most beautiful lady in your engagement party?”

“Oh. I’m sorry. I think you misinterpreted. It’s not my engagement party.”

She nodded and went to another set of gowns. She picked a plain teal gown and showed it to me. “How about this one? It’s simple, yet sophisticated. Why don’t you try it on? It will surely look good on you.”

I didn’t argue and went to the fitting room. I tried the gown and it fitted perfectly. I went outside to ask the girl’s opinion. Instead, a familiar face greeted me. It was Stephanie Fernandez, the girl Mico left at the altar.

“Arabella, hi!” She greeted me first. “Do you still remember me? I’m Stephanie.”

“Hi.” I was shocked upon seeing her. I have to praise her for even remembering her ex- fiancé’s ex-girlfriend.

“How are you? Are you and Mico back together?”

I was taken aback. What is she talking about?  I just shook my head and gave her a questioning look.

“Didn’t he follow you to New York when he ran away?” Her tone became serious. Her eyes looked sad. I think that she really loved Mico. May be she loved him more than I did. Their relationship lasted for almost five years.

“I’m sorry, Stephanie. As far as I know, it’s not me. The first time I saw Mico after we broke up was just a few days ago. I’m just currently working for him as his interior designer”

She doesn’t look convince but she nodded. “Do you have time?” She asked.

“I really want to call it a day. But why do you ask?”

“I just want to drink coffee with someone.”

She really looked like she needed a friend so I decided to accompany her. “Just give me five minutes to change then, we can have some coffee.” I smiled at her and she smiled back.

I immediately changed my clothes and paid for the gown. We left the store after she got her business with the shop. We went inside a small coffee shop nearby. I just ordered a dark mint frappe for a change. I need to wash away all the bitterness I felt a while ago.

“So, how are you? I also heard it from him. And, why did you think that it was me?”

“Oh, that. I just thought it was you because you’re the only one in New York at that time that I can think of. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. The thing between Mico and me already ended when we broke up. And I wasn’t aware that he went to New York. He didn’t tell me that he went there. I just knew that he went somewhere far after…” I paused a second to pick the right words. I know it still hurts.  “You know what happened.” 

She just nodded.

“Are you okay?” I asked her again. I know she’s not okay but I think she needed a friend right now. Even though she’s one of the reasons why those things happened to me five years ago, I think she needs a person who will listen to her, even if it’s me.